In the next issue of the Double Gun Journal I believe there will be an article featuring a high-grade Hollenbeck/Syracuse Arms Company 30" 10-bore tipping the scales at 7 pounds/3 ounces. This gun looks and feels like a 12-bore.

As to shooting 10-bores, all my experience has been limited to modern, heavy 10-bore guns and 3 1/2" max loads; but for the standard turn-of-the-last century 10-bore, the standard load was a 2 7/8" case loaded with 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounces of shot. With those loads, 10-bores could be made very light weight, by modern standards; and should be very comfortable to carry and shoot.

When one considers the modern 10-bore, consider this example to illustrate just how dramatically shell technology has advanced since those early days. I recently acquired a few vintage roll-crimped 8-bore Remington shells with a loaded length of 3 1/4" (3 1/2" fired) and loaded with 5 3/4 drams of some unknown powder and 1 3/4 ounces of #2 chilled lead shot. A modern 3" 12-bore magnum has been loaded with 1 3/4 ounce, and heavier payloads for as long as I can remember. Given what technology has done with modern 10 and 12-bore shot shells, makes one wonder why the 8-bore was ever declared illegal in the first place? I vote we bring back the 8-bore!