Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Stan, that's contrary to what I see on my XS Sport 20 gauge.

The gun has been in moderate target service for seven years now, and is still as tight as when new. The lever is still in the same place.

My gun is used with a light grease which is renewed every outing. I allow it to snap closed as it was designed to do.

Superposed Brownings might need new bolting once in a while, but the Citori? I don't see that.

I'm happy yours is giving good service, but you did say moderate service, and 20 ga. Once they get worn it is trouble, brother. One of my best shooting friends shoots one, but he is learning. He just got it back from Browning, and it already opening itself after the first shot. I cannot tell you how many I have personally witnessed do this over the years. I am referring strictly to 12 ga. guns. I've never seen a 20 ga. with enough rounds through it to qualify as a serious target gun, though I am sure there are some out there.

I am not dissing Brownings for field use, or for casual target work, just stating what I know to be fact for high volume service. One of the most amazing things I have seen lately, among serious clay shooters, is a Ruger Red Label owned and shot by one tournament shooter of Lake City, GA. I was with him earlier today at a major tournament and asked how long he had been shooting that Ruger. Twelve years, was the time I think he said. But what he said next knocked my socks off. He is up to almost 600,000 rounds through it and has never had it rebolted, never had an ejector break, never even been in the shop for anything! His previous Red Label had one ejector break in many years of service, but he said he thinks he broke it himself when he pulled the fore-end off one time and accidentally twisted it sideways as he did.

Now, I'm not a big Ruger fan (of their shotguns) but, I have to admit, that is truly amazing, and a testament to their engineering.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/19/12 05:45 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.