June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (dogon, Lloyd3), 315 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,052
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all,

some years ago I found out how to enable german characters on my PC.
had forgotten how I did it, so did a quick search.
It's done in Windows (I still use XP but should be similar in later versions)

I use shift/alt (together) - that changes my keyboard from english to german
if I remember correctly, you can assign certain german chars to certain keys on the kboard - others will appear where they would be on a proper german kboard (you'll have some fun finding out where they are!)

In my case, the 'Umlaute' ÄäÖöÜü are on the ' ; [ respectively
the ß appears on the - key.

Lots of fun if you forget to switch back to english, as some unexpected chars will appear - for instance z will be y
but one gets used to it.

here the instructions from Microsoft:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-h...351416.aspx#BM3

1.Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
Note In Classic view , double-click Regional and Language Options.

2.In the Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options dialog box, under Pick a task, click Add other languages.
3.In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, on the Languages tab, click Details.
4.In the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box, on the Settings tab, click the Default input language down arrow, and then select the default language that you want to use.
5.In the Installed services box, select the language that you want to add to the Language bar.
Note If the language that you want to use as a secondary language is not listed in the Installed services box, click Add to open the Add Input Languages dialog box, click the language that you want to expand the list, click Keyboard to expand the Keyboard list, click the check box next to the keyboard layout/IME that you want, click OK, and then click Apply.

6.If you want to be able to switch keyboard layouts by using the Language bar, under Preferences, click Language Bar, and then select the Show the Language bar on the desktop check box.

unquote

hope this helps

Best regards from England

Günter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Günter,

Thanks for sharing. I've been snagging the characters off of a German/English dictionary that Jon Spencer, of the GGCA, had brought to my attention:

http://www.dict.cc/

Though I'm sure it takes longer than what you have recommended. Check out the hunting and firearm terms when you get a moment, its fun stuff.

Büchsemann

Last edited by Buchseman; 08/28/12 04:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My computer guru made some magic passes over my computer and now I have ä,ö,ü and ß with no further ado. I bought a USB German keyboard to use with it, but found that I can do just as well with the regular keyboard, if I can remember which keys to hit. A big help in corresponding with friends in Germany.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years ago, I visited a Kettner store in Budapest. Two years ago I went back. Store closed.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baumgarten & I have guessed for some time where the idea for the tube extensions that mate with the frame might have originated. We had assumed that Brenneke was the culprit. Still not sure, but circa 1908 Eduard Kettner sought protection for something similar under Gebrauchsmuster/D.R.G.M. 330619. "Gewehrläufe mit seitlichen Wulsten die in das Gewehrverschlussstück eingreifen. Eduard Kettner, Köln Hohestraße 67."

I realize it is vague, but that is all there is.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.