Hello Folks

I do not pretend to be an expert but I do have a different opinion on this (and two Mauser Sporting rifles with FACTORY dovetailed recievers).

It is a fact that the factory did offer rifles with scope bases dovetailed through the reciever, I have two examples, a friend owns another, and I have examined at least a couple more - and there are pictures of them in (the reproductions of) Mauser Commercial Rifle brochures. The examples I'm aware of are all single square bridge.

I doubt Mauser would have offered these up (in a country covered by a comprehensive proof law framework) without a sound engineering analysis - it would be interesting to know for sure if rifles were submitted for proof with the scope mounts.

In my opinion the problems may have arisen from the "small shop conversions" where the dovetail cut is "too deep". Some of these I have seen (in photos only) look pretty "scary" to me.

The two rifles I have are in 250 Savage and 7x57. Both run at "modern" load levels, both have been regularly checked for headspace - no issues. Would I rechamber these rifles in really high intensity cartidges (like a 264 WM or a WSM etc) - not on your nelly.

A couple of other forum's I'm on have regular european contributors, they seem to have a different perspective on this (which obviously has influenced my view) so as with everything, it depends on what you are thinking of doing, and remembering that at least 50% of what you read on the internet is not much better than gossip.