One comment I can make is that cutting a dovetail in a standard Mauser receiver ring most certainly does not make it any stronger and you have much less of a safety factor in case of a a case failure or some type of overload. As brought up in a previous post, Mauser didn't come up with the double square bridge version of the 98 w/o good reason.

While in college in Kansas in the late 1960's I bought a really nice WW I Mauser 8x57 that had been sporterized in Germany & restocked here(Amberg arsenal if I remember correctly). It had a dovetailed receiver ring & claw mount base & like most was missing the rings. Stupidly, I had the gun rebarreled to .270 WCF & the dovetail base removed & a blank fitted so a Redfield top mount could be fitted. I shot that gun w/o any issues for about 5 years but was never completely comfortable with the safety factor & as I got a little smarter about things gunwise I dissasembled the gun for parts & destroyed the receiver. I don't remember if the dovetail pierced the receiver ring or not. If I had been smart enough to leave it a 8x57 Mauser I would not have been as concerned about the safety factor & would likely still be shooting it.