Reading Ackley's blowup tests SHOULD be an eye-opener. Of the 3 Mausers tested, the dovetailed one failed at quite a light loading compared to the other 2 Mausers, and at a very ludicrously low loading compared to some of the stronger actions tested. Altogether too weak to be logically included in the same group with the others.

I've always been somewhat of a hot-rodder and own a '94 Swede fitted with a 270 WCF barrel, so I'm no stranger to pushing the envelope. However it's been my experience that the early Mausers need all the lug support they can get and so I wouldn't put a 270 on a dovetailed Mauser. Ditto a 243 WCF, it's rather high-pressured in the first place and in addition it has a history of far too many unexplained pressure excursions to suit me.

I've always found the various 57mm cartridges to give good performance in the field at any reasonable range, with no need for anything more unless at extended range or dangerous game. Two of my favorite dovetailed/claw mounted rifles were 9x57s rebored by Bob Snapp, and they were both splendid deer-killing machines!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!