From time to time I get inquiries on steel types so getting back on task on the Krupp theme, I've read many references, even Krupp, that give that the patent for the Krupp Stahl NIROSTA(Nitro Stahl - Nichtrostendender) was filed by Krupp on Oktober 17th, 1912. As usual there's a small error of 1 day in that as far as I can tell and there is a Krupp patent for that date but it is centered around a fuse or something of the like. Said error will drive you mad as the search becomes a brute force one. So the truth as it appears is that in 1910 a effort by Krupp to compose this steel was mounted and by Oktober 18th, 1912 a most accomplished metal guy named Benno Strauß(1.30.1873 - 9.27.1944), along with his faithful assistant Eduard Mauer, filed DRP 304126 under the alias/pen name/stage name Clemens Pasel(Pasal/Pascal) and subsequent DRP 304159. At first I thought the a.k.a./stage name might have been to mask the Krupp firm in an attempt to fend off competition as all steel makers were rushing to find the Holy Grail of steels during this time. Then I began to dig for info on Benno Strauß who was a Jew by birth in January 1873 in Fürth to a merchant family, Nathan Strauß & Babette Strauß. The short of it being, during WWI(1917) he converted to Christianity and fumbled an opportunity to escape the oppression experienced by the Jews a few days prior to the start of WWII. In September 1944(Krupp did pay him his pension 9.27.1944) his fate was sealed with an order to proceed to Vorwohle bei Holzminden, where within a few days he expired and speculation is that it was pneumonia. There's more of course and I can post the patents with the composition if any are interested.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse