What goes around... I am pretty sure I took a look at this gun about 15 years ago. A long time anyway. The lump was loose, and had been. Someone tried to fix it by drilling shallow (I think) holes along the lump junction on the barrel flats, and looked like they had inserted some pins in the holes. Which of course did not hold. As I remember, I gave the owner an estimate to take it all apart, re braze the lumps, re solder, etc. And he of course declined the cost. I often wondered what happened to the gun after I returned it to the owner.

It goes without saying that the attempted repair with the pins, etc was not what should have been done, but I am sure someone wanted a cheap job. I think the only proper course is to have the entire barrel set taken a part, cleaned, re brazed, soldered, etc. But the cost for all of this is not going to be low, and probably more than the gun is worth, or would be worth. But I would not do any welding on the barrels/lump joint, as this would prevent any further proper repair. If the barrels are bulged, I would forget any repair and relegate it to parts. Sad ending to an otherwise fine shotgun.

Dennis Potter