September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, SKB, Marshgrass, Vol423, 1 invisible), 550 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,840
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve has spent over a year working to produce this barrel. He has invested large sums in obtaining the correct tools. The learning curve is very steep. Especially for some one working alone. Unlike the classic makers, he did NOT have a master with 30+ years of experience to guide him.

He is only the second American that I can confirm that is capable of producing a barrel that retains all the elements of the classic makers. Worldwide, there less than 10 men who can pull this off. The rest are in Europe.

Hopefully, given time, he can attain production capabilities.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe one of Steve's fellow knife makers overcame the 'meandering' hole of a damascus tube by forge welding the pattern material on to solid round stock and then using standard deep hole drilling methods.

His name was Bill Fiorini and I believe his barrels were used by a very few custom gunsmiths over twenty years ago, and he documented the process during some of the seminars he used to do. He relayed the story that he was approached by H&H to produce a set of one off barrels, but the commission never got off the ground.

I don't mean to drift off topic from the nice work shown by Steve here. Thanks for pointing it out Doc Drew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OUTSTANDING!!!
Hoping this finds everyone well;
Kraft

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just heard from Steve. In box is full, the other Meriden is now on the map smile , and he's working on a Chain Damascus barrel!

BTW: Jefferson Co. has had good quail populations in the past, and lots of public land around Perry Lake. Might be worth a visit
http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/State-Parks/Locations/Perry

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/28/12 12:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hallelujah. Lazarus, is that you? Well done! If you are able to bring these to market so that sleeving of damascus guns with matching damascus barrels could be made possible.... Holy cow, the mind whirls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to visit the Birmingham proof house. These are a few of photos of the sample strips they have to show the Damascus barrel process. – just thought it might be of interest.

This is the outside of the original 1813 building where they test fire M/L barrels.

If you ever get the chance to visit the proof house in Birmingham you have to book as part of a group. The visit is fascinating for anyone interested in firearms as it is a living, working museum. It has survived and still caries out the work it was originally set up to do by an act of parliament. Most of the buildings are original and the testing hasn’t changed a great deal in over 200 years.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for all of the kind complements on my damascus barrel!! I decided that I had better sign up for this forum and respond to all of your messages.

As both a Master Bladesmith and a Master Gunsmith, figuring out how to make damascus barrels is something that I have wanted to accomplish for a long time. This barrel is destined to be used on a project that I am currently building.

I definitely intend to make more barrels. I plan to start working with more complicated patterns. I have been working with just a simple damascus pattern, because I have ruined so much damascus learning how to weld it into a barrel. Now that I am confident in my barrel welding process, I am willing to spend more time making the damascus that I will use. I videoed the process of making this barrel, as I did all of my failed attempts. I have HOURS of video of me ruining perfectly good damascus steel!!!

I haven't had anyone helping me with the physical labor of making barrels. I've got a hydraulic forging press and a 50lb. Little-Giant trip-hammer to assist in the work.

I build my own propane forges for use in my shop. I have a large forge that I use for welding big billets of damascus. I found it unsuitable for welding barrels, because I couldn't localize the heat in the barrel tube. Finally wound up designing and building a special forge just for barrel welding. It is very small and can heat just a couple of inches of the tube.

I feel that modern steels can actually be a hindrance for damascus barrel making. From what I can ascertain, the iron element in the old barrels was wrought iron. The steel element's content was very basic; just iron and carbon. This combination of metals would be relatively easy to weld. Our modern steels include alloys that narrow the temperature range for forge welding and also create a very tenacious forge scale that has to be mitigated to make a weld. So, modern steels are more difficult to weld and present a higher risk of slag entrapment in the welds. Because of the alloys, modern steels are often tougher at heat and move under the hammer with more difficulty. So, moving the metal to close the welds requires more effort.

The "meandering" forged bore is something to deal with for sure. But, not an overwhelming issue. Just takes some creative machining. As with any forging, getting it finished requires examining it and figuring out what you need to do to bring it to final dimensions.

Welding the damascus to a solid rod leaves the possibility that the solid rod itself (and so the bore) will no longer be straight after forging. When the tube and the solid rod are hot, they can both be bent. I would not be happy with any portion of the solid rod remaining in the bore once the barrel was finished. Most especially at the muzzle were it could be seen. This would require a very small rod, so that it can be completely bored out. The likelihood of the small rod bending would be significant. I prefer to forge the tube with an open bore. That way, I can see how the boring process is going and I'm not working blind.

I see no reason that damascus barrels could not be factory made. I already have visions of production machinery that could do the job.

Great photos of the Proof House and demonstration barrels!!! I hope to be able to visit Birmingham and also the firearms museums of Belgium some day.

Thanks Again!!!

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to own 2 sample damascus forgings like the ones shown above. One still had a mandrel inside that they used. Unfortunately, I no longer have photos of that one. Here's one of the other forging. I think Drew now owns this one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is absolutely fascinating. I am in awe of you guys! I hope a you tube is forthcoming.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Several demonstration rods, including Dr Gaddy's, are here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20091342

And for our British brethren, the British Damascus Rosetta Stone remains undiscovered frown

Marshall's of Birmingham

Greener's The Gun, 1907

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/29/12 09:55 AM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.