We've chewed this cabbage many times and every time tons of empirical evidence, pages of testimony as to personal preference for this drop or that, this time an exhaustive historical and pictorial review of how to get the wood on the wood and the eye on top of the rib. So what's the conclusion? It all works for somebody somewhere sometime? I don't put much stock in the teeth or jaw on the comb business. I think somewhere in all this gobblygook is hidden the observation that vertical distance top of shoulder to eye was the original determinant for the choice of very crooked stocks. I think that's probably the largest truth in this mess. Everything points to it: 1) the Monte Carlo with parallel comb, 2) the "rational" stock, 3) Morgan adjustable pads offset an inch below the toe of the stock. Every manjack who's ever lived can shrug his shoulders up and crawl his head forward to take up some of that verticality except he's wearing a celluloid collar or has C7 arthritis. I shoot a Remmy '89 with 2 7/8 drop at heel. It has a lace on comb riser. For me lower gum to comb has never worked. The way they put distance vision in progressive lenses, I need to be a bullethead just to find the correct area of correction.

jack