June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, jake van dyke, 3 invisible), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,511
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've gone the last few years. Really a fun event. Hospitality and food are absolutely fantastic. Targets are excellent (the 2013 US Open will be held there) and unique (one station bounced targets off a trampoline). The Parker Collectors are having their national meeting there this year, which should up attendance. Hunting for birds and deer are available on the property during the event. I believe a pheasant tower shoot is also available if a group signs up in advance. It's an hour away from Myrtle Beach if you want to add some beach time or golf to the trip.

You can see a video of the event at: http://vimeo.com/14140556

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been the last two years, and plan to be there again this month. Never having been to the parent event at Deep River I can't compare them. There have been lots of vendors both years, pretty much filling two big tents.

Targets are good, as DGM said. Not soft as charity shoots but not as tough as big registered shoots. There are the most nice doubles I ever get to see in one place for sale.

The reason it is held in October is, most likely, comfort of the attendees. Those of us who live here kinda get used to the heat and humidity, (and bugs), but they're tough on others not used to such weather. It is a bummer that it falls during hunting season, but I have not regretted giving up a few days hunting to attend.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can hunt at the Fall Southern. Backwoods has quail, chukar and pheasant hunts available during the entire weekend. If enough shooters sign up in advance, there will be a pheasant tower shoot Sat morning. Sunday hunting is allowed in South Carolina if you'd rather shoot birds than the main event. I have booked quail hunts during the event for the last several years. This year I have booked a hunt Sat morning instead of clays. I plan on using my 4 lb Churchill XXV .410 and my 32 gauge Poli. It'll give the pen raised birds a fighting chance.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve Barnett's absence will definitely hurt the vendor list. He always has a lot of very good stuff. We're still toying with going, but right now there are too many conflicts. Had a great time there in 2010.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 10/03/12 11:21 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year there was a group from the midwest that was hunting there during the event. They all said they were having a great time. Someone brought in a nice buck one evening as well.

Here's the hunting packages from the website:

Bird Hunting: http://www.backwoodsquailclub.com/index.php?cnt=quail

Deer: http://www.backwoodsquailclub.com/index.php?cnt=deer

Pheasant Tower Shoot: http://www.backwoodsquailclub.com/index.php?cnt=tower

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the Southern ever held in any of the Gulf States?

Sidelock
Sidelock

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

I'm in full agreement with DGM regarding this shoot. If you want to have a quality shoot with quality people running it, it's the place to be. You are treated like family by the entire staff. Good food; good people; good times.
If you're expecting hundreds of vendors, That's not what this shoot is all about. It is in conflict with the hunting seasons in many parts of the country and that limits attendance. as a result, there are fewer vendors.
However, if you want a good, convivial fun side x side shoot, it's the place to be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: popplecop

No. The parent Southern has always been at Sanford, NC and the Fall Classic at Georgetown, SC. Bill Kempffer works closely with Rick at the Fall Classic, and is there for the entire event. It being so closely coordinated between the two I can't imagine it being held anywhere else.

This will be the 5th annual Fall Classic.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will be there Saturday-I am very fortunate that both the Spring $ Fall SXS are 4 hours away-have not missed one yet and have no
plans to.
Reguards
Bill McPhail

J W McPhail
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.