September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Chad Linder, al, 375whelenIMP, 3 invisible), 510 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck with that! Hope there's been more rain up there than the National Weather Service is reporting: they show no measurable rainfall this season. So you gotta hunt the "wet spots" I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im hoping my friend's place has had water in the resevoir. I have offered to cover the cost of keeping water in it year round several times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H, we saw 2 pheasants run by the dining room window as we were eating Thanksgiving [chicken] dinner. Things are looking up in Ks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GOOD! I am in Boulder, heading for Mexico via C Springs this morning....Pososle was great...seeya

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think here in the US large scale interest in the small bore goes back to when Remington introduced their model 17, ne Ithaca model 37 & Winchester offered the model 12 in 20 bore as did a number of other makers. It was perhaps the general prosperity after WW1 that made for a lot of interest in the smaller framed lighter field guns & repeaters had come of age & were both accepted & affordable by many. They just made good sense for upland game that didn't require much shot payload in order to bag the game being sought. Cartridge weight & bulk as mentioned earlier is also a real enough factor when one is going to be trudging about afield all day.

In a double, one has but to heft or carry any of the older Ithacas in their small bore iterations to understand what a delight afield they are .. a good set of barrels with minimal breech mass and just enough wood to let it be admired and pointed well.

Post WW2, Remington made inroads with their 1148 28's that mostly got pounded to death w/1oz. commercial loadings, but many a Texas bird hunter thought they had found nirvana w/that combination in the 50's & into the 60's. They were ultimately replaced by the 1100 lightweight's, still a modern favorite.

Beretta executed the O/U small bore to prefection in their ASEL 20's & Ithaca brought in the delightful SKB made model 100's w/25" bbls. for a while, which, IMHO, was perhaps the best modern made 20 double out there for overall fit, finish and features in a bargain bird gun!

Today, one has the majority of registered skeet shooters using 20's in the 12ga. events to improved scores and Remington even markets a 'managed recoil' 7/8oz. target load that should be about ideal for most small upland game.

If dove & quail & such are the quarry, a 20 is plenty & so is 25 grams of #7 shot.

OK, enough post turkey day ramble; off to shoot a couple of hundred sporty clays targets w/a heavy 12 and walk off some of yesterday's excesses. Best to all here! tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Chuck H, we saw 2 pheasants run by the dining room window as we were eating Thanksgiving [chicken] dinner. Things are looking up in Ks.

Daryl,
Sorry we won't be out to KS this weekend. Myra may have told you by now. With the low numbers of birds and the dry conditions, and Chuck not being able to guide us, it just didn't look good. To add to all that, my mother-in-law is having open heart surgery on Wednesday, which put Kyle out of the trip too. It was just down to me and Mike and state land.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
It was just down to me and Mike and state land.

And it just wasn't fair to me since Chuck H would have had so much better company than I would.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 11/25/12 08:11 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I and many of the fellows I shoot with all spent years toting a 12ga.As the years advance and shoulders get more fragile and legs not up to carrying much wt on long walks,we have become good enough shots we don't need 12ga loads to achieve our goal.The lighter gauges do the job just fine with less punishment to our old fragile bodies.When I was 12 yo I went rabbit hunting with an old fellow.I was proud of my Stevens 12ga dbl, and thought I knew it all.I asked him the same ?.Ans-"Hits just as well and lighted for these old legs to carry."Well I'm that old man today.Besides,the esthetics are great!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason I like a smallbore's lighter weight [also lightweight boots] is I don't have enough willpower to reduce the weight added over the years to my gut. If I could loose those pounds a 10 gauge wouldn't be a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
It was just down to me and Mike and state land.

And it just wasn't fair to me since Chuck H would have had so much better company than I would.

Mike, I was hoping you'd not notice that and hunt with me anyway.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.