The gun bussiness has for years been based on rapid turn over of inventory. I use to have a small interst in a shop and we use to figure that 10% profit on long guns was reasonable or do-able if it was a regular customer. But this meant that we had to flip the inventory very quickly. Some items would flip in days and other might be weeks. Never kept a low or middle grade gun in the shop for a long time. Could not afford to do it. Hand guns had a higher margin for us than long guns.

Used guns was where we made the bulk of our profit. What we paid for a used gun coud vary greatly and margins could get very decent for some items. But really the only way the shop made it was to turn over inventory as quickly as possible.

Some of the deals still make me laugh. Traded for a double gun, a boat with motor and trailer, decoys and a pregnant Lab, for two long guns and a old 1911 Colt 45. By the time I got done the puppies were all profit and cute as heck to boot.

I try to do all mu buying at small shops. When they go where will I get to find real bargins? Walmart. I think not. Heck in the next few years Walmart may get PC and stop selling guns and ammo. Then we will be out even their poor selections.