September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (azgreg, Mike Harrell, 2 invisible), 204 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,929
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#302219 11/28/12 10:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I completely missed the boat on these. Who makes them?
Is there any quality to speak of?

They look like they'd make good loaners or rainy day guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Made by the Akus-UCA factory in Turkey, imported by ICA, Billerica, MA.....the same factory that manufactured the Kimber shotguns and the Smith and Wesson shotguns.....

The quality is far better than many new shotguns made elsewhere...the internal parts for the most part are polished or tumbled stainless steel....the fit and finish is very good.....the barrels are excellent, as is the blueing and wood finish......the case colors are very, very good......

CNC machines are used to produce these guns, so the tolerances are out six digits, therefore everything fits very well....

The checkering is laser engraved, the receiver engraving is rolled not laser.....

They are light weight, dependable and shoot very, very good......I've shot several thousand rounds through the Smith & Wesson 20 pictured below and just bought a new matching 16 DT 28" Dickinson from Cabela's.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are made by Akus in Turkey. This company seems to be producing the best guns in Turkey. The Dickinson is the same gun as the S&W Elite but retails for about half of what the S&W did I'll be buying one real soon.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sleek looking gun - the muzzles are better finished than my RBL.

This does not bode well for the Uggie and AyA lower end boxlocks.

Last edited by Doverham; 11/29/12 12:47 AM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
CNC machines are used to produce these guns, so the tolerances are out six digits, therefore everything fits very well....

Six Digits = ±.000001". There is not a production machine (CNC or Otherwise) that can come close to that sort of Tolerance. Now this is not meant to Bad-mouth the equipment used, but Hey' lets be realistic. I worked for 35+ years as a machinist & have worked on CNC machines.
You are talking extremely specialized measuring equipment to even measure this closly. A "Precision" Micrometer is only graduated to 4 digits (.0001). To even measure to 6-digits requires Light Wave bending equipment for reading.
Again, let me stress this is in no way meant to disparage these guns, but there simply is no part of double gun which needs this kind of tolerance, nor is it going to be obtained at any affordable price. The price to obtain this sort of tolerance would be simply astronomical.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regardless, these guns have a damn nice fit and finish for $1500 range. I shoot the S&W and the Dickinson in 20 and 12. I am trying to find a 16 that weighs in at the 6 1/2lb range with double triggers. The one I could have bought was almost as heavy as my 12, but others I have seen listed come in right around 6 1/2lbs. I have hunted the crap out of my S&W as it is a very dependable gun and one I shoot very well. I trusted it enough to use it as my main gun in Africa.

As you can see I have worn the case coloring off from use.

Dickinson

S&W before case coloring was worn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought all of the S&W Elites had a beautiful stick of Turkish walnut on them? Or is that just an option?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No most were plain IMO

Sidelock
Sidelock

As wburns said most S & W's are plain, same with the Dickinson's........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 20s three-inch, by any chance? Wow!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.