June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 326 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,621
Posts547,105
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#303667 12/09/12 06:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hesitate to call it a restoration, more of a salvage operation. I found this poor neglected, bubba'd Winchester 52 custom sporter on the web a while back. Having a soft heart for such rifles, I decided to take it in and clean it up and see what we could make out of it. Here is how it looked when I got it.

The two biggest issues were the length of pull was about 12", and the forend had been cut off right through the checkering and what looked like an epoxy forend tip was added and painted black. Of course the funky white inlays did not help any either. On the bright side, whoever shaped the stock did a very good job, and the checkering was a very professional job as well. The inletting is factory Winchester inletting so the stock is a reworked original target stock.

First the inlays were removed and the black epoxy forend tip was removed. The inlay in the toe of the stock was filled with a strip of walnut. On the forend, I cut all the way through to the barrel channel in the outline of the inlay to form a sort of mortise in the end of the forend. A piece of walnut was then cut with a tenon to fit this mortise and affixed to the end of the forend. The barrel was then inlet into the new piece of wood and the outside shaped. A piece of wod was then found that had similar grain pattern as the buttstock and attached to the butt to lengthen the pull to something more reasonable. This was shaped to the correct shape and a Winchester buttplate added.

The most frustrating part was trying to get the color and finish of the new wood to somewhat match the old without stripping and refinishing the entire stock which would have removed the old patina from the stock. The forend checkering where it was still visible was recut and extended into the new wood. This is always a challenge as you have to follow the old checkering where it is present, but in other areas there was not enough of it left to be able to follow it so you have to cut new rows that match up with the old. It turned out OK however and the checkering was then stained to hide the joint where the new wood was added. A brass escutcheon was then added and a screw made to thread into the barrel band.

Here is the end result.

Yet to go is adding sling swivels of some sort, and possibly a better rear sight. A lyman 48J would really look nice, but I hate to notch the stock for it so I'll probably just put an old external adjustment scope on it.

Thanks for looking,
John

Last edited by gasgunner; 12/11/12 12:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

I like it, you did a great job. Another successful rescue job and I might add your photography is likewise successful ;-).

I would forget sling swivels, I like it the way it is.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job: another veteran brought back from the brink! Downright evangelical! And a nice photoessay, too.

Last edited by Mike A.; 12/09/12 07:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester Super Grade swivels and bases would be my first choice. Second choice would be "hooks and eyes", original Winchester issue. The second choice may be easier to access. What a great gun. Who did your joining and blending of grain and finish? What, you don't like the old ladder sight??

Sidelock
Sidelock

You did a wonderful job. The grain matching is wonderful, but on the cheek side of the stock it's pretty amazing. Super job - you saved one!

Last edited by Ryan McNabb; 12/09/12 09:23 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind words. I got really lucky with the wood grain on the piece added to the butt. I tried to add a little grain where needed in a few places with an exacto knife but not sure if that made matters better or worse. It was a fun project, and should make a good squirrel rifle.

On the old ladder sight, I really can't believe Winchester put that sight on what was their premier target rifle for as long as they did when such vastly superior sights were available at the time.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester sold 400 of the first 500 52s to the Army, or so said Landis. Perhaps the principal customer influenced the sight design. I shot one back when I was about 18 years old. It was OK for 18-year old eyes. As soon as I got a Unertl, the sight was folded down & never again raised.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice John!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love's labor found! Very nice job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.