Congratulations- On Your Choice of "The Perfect Repeater" a 1949 sales tag for the great Model 12- Your 1928 Mod 12 field grade will still show Nickel Steel on the barrel stamping near the breech- and all 12 gauge Model 1912 and Model 12 (same exact gun, just less the 1 and 9 in the roll stamp)were factory std at 2& 3/4" (except the 3" Mag heavy Duck which came out in 1935). I "grew up with Winchester" and also in my stint as a Master Armorer (2112 MOS) stripped, cleaned and service and test fired beaucoup Model 12's -also M25 and M1897 12 Winchester pumps- In the field of repeating firearms, regardless of the designer and era- 4 weapons stand out in my 60 plus years of shooting- The Colt 1873 "Peacemaker" .45 Revolver- the Colt 1911 and 1911-A-1 .45 ACP pistol, the US Rifle M-1 30-06 Garand and the Winchester Model 12--None better. You are fortunate to have found a 28" mod- most Model 12's in field grade configuration had Full chokes as std-unless customer ordered otherwise.

Three books/articles you might want-- Dave Petzals' 1985 June SC Magazine article on the "Perfect Repeater" and both the Dave Riffle and the John Madis books on the Model 12- some of the Model 12's photographed in the Riffle book would make a Nun leave a Convent as become a Frat House House Mother at a Party College--Wow--

If you become stymied, call my gunsmith pal Rod Gates -he's a "Show-Me" Stater like yourself, has been a gunsmith for 40 years hand runnin'--and also like me, and Buck Hamlin of Peavely MO- also loves the LC Smith shotguns-- his number is 417-224-0714-- enjoy the M12-and leave it to a Grandson-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..