June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (ksauers1, Licensed to kill, MattH, Beccaccia28, M&M), 362 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,054
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard it all before and here it is again; smaller animals have no emotions [there is a cutoff between humans and smaller animals], the live bird shooters are controlling pigeon population so the rest of us may live in a healthy environment, sport of kings [let them eat cake, superiority mentality]. At least the turn of the century pigeon shoots had people eating the dead pigeons, nowadays that doesn't happen at least in the US. I'll say one last time, been there, saw how it works, asked questions, don't do that any more. I hope I convince at least some of the readers who haven't been to a pigeon shoot, or those who haven't risen yet to the highest code of hunter ethics [fair chase], make no mistake - this is a cruel activity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nitro Express
I have no problem killing an animal in fair chase and-or when the meat is utilized by the shooter, shopper or SOMEONE. But I do have a problem caging the pigeons, terrorizing and torturing them, launching them from dark boxes where they are disoriented, killing some, wounding others that are never followed up to put out of their misery, and after all that discarding the carcasses. I'm sorry to say I have done live bird shoots in the past, but never again. No distortion or exaggeration, I've seen it. Wise up guys, this is a cruel activity.

Do you think it mentally effects everyone that does it ?

I hear tell that's where PETA came from.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

NE
I believe that this type (pigeon trap) shooting was popular at one time in our history. I was more interested in the development of shotguns in relation to this type of activity , ie longer barrels. There are still shotgun builders using the term " pigeon" in their descriptions. As far as morals, ethics, cruelty , etc that is a tough subject. I am a 61 year old hunter. I have hunted since the age if 12. I was taught how to hunt safely and with ethics at a very early age. If I look at our hunting past, waterfowl market hunting, hunting birds only for their feathers , 8 gauge shotguns. These are all black marks against our hunting history. I was truly unaware of the "ejection" methods used in pigeon trap shooting. Again, I thought the activity was interesting to me as it related to shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I could afford to do it every week I'd go...

After I shot I'd run in and bite the heads off the pigeons just for PETA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot box birds. I don't have anything against those who don't. Wish they felt the same about me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pigeon shooting competition is a blood sport. If we must justify it with consumption of the carcass, how do we justify catch and release sport fishing? Why terrorize, possibly kill, or otherwise inconvenience the fish if we do not justify it by consuming it? And how does consuming the flesh of the fish or pigeon or duck or pheasant or bobwhite quail make it ethically acceptable to kill in the 1st place when we could all just be vegans?

This is a silly conversation...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

No box birds for me. Had the opportunity, but passed. A few years ago a farmer we knew asked a couple of us to go shoot a bunch of barn pigeons that were getting into his grain. It was a real hoot, but all those pigeons wound up in chili or burritos. Other than varmints, predators and rattlesnakes, we cook it all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Parker10guage
....If I look at our hunting past, waterfowl market hunting, hunting birds only for their feathers , 8 gauge shotguns. These are all black marks against our hunting history....

All have their place in history and not black marks at all to me. Two things I just don't understand. Gotta eat it. I'll eat just about anything at least once, but I'd seriously question if anyone here needs the meat. I also can't figure out why it's 'fair' to a wild bird to get pointed by a dog, flushed and shot.

For me, the right and ability to hunt, fair chase or otherwise, is a want not a need. I suspect folks get a bit callous on these things because it's tiring to be told constantly how to feel.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whether the pigeons are eaten or not is s small issue compared to ripping out their flight feathers. That is wanton cruelty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well to answer the original question. Yes, it's still going on and in most cases you have to be invited. And they dont eat the birds.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.