Ok Model 12 experts, I've got another gun to ask you about. Did a post-Christmas trip to the "old country" (ie. Pennsylvania) to visit family and do a little Steelhead fishing in Erie, Pa. While killing some time in-between fishing and hunting adventures (which were somewhat limited by 20-plus inches of accumulated snow) I found an early Model 12 in 20 gauge in a small, backwoods gunshop that I later dated to 1914. Gun is in very good shape, other than someone putting a poorly-fitting pad on it to make it a bit longer. Barrel length is only 25-inches, but it doesn't look to be altered in any way. As best as I can determine, it has 2 1/2 inch chambers, but it chambers, fires, and ejects 2 3/4 inch shells just fine. I'm guessing that it has been used with 2 3/4-inch shells most of it's life.

My questions are this: Are 25-inch barrels original in early 20 gauge guns? What was the stock length of pull for this gun when it was original? And finally, what sort of risk is there in using 2 3/4 inch shells in this thing ? I have lots of English 2 1/2s I can use (left from an old hammer gun I once owned) but I'm wondering what my options are here? This should make another nice grouse gun, and for not alot of money.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/04/13 10:05 PM.