I took apart a LC Smith SxS recently because the safety no longer worked. Lots of parts fell out of the gun when I pulled the stock and I think that was the problem. It seems that some of the pins that hold the safety parts in place are held there by the stock but apparently not that well. In any case, the problem I am having putting it back together is with the shaft from the top lever. The v spring that powers the top lever is at the bottom and causes the unsupported end to be way out of alignment with the hole in the trigger plate. I can put the trigger plate on it if the stock isn't there by using it to lever the shaft into position but have no access to it with the stock in place. I could drill and tap a hole in the receiver (that would be hidden by the stock) and use a set screw that could compress the spring and allow the shaft to go to center but it seems like a lot of work. I have also tried putting a steel rod (allen wrench) in the screw hole at the bottom of the shaft and using that for a lever but it requires more force than the allen wrench can stand and it just bends. There must be a way that they did these at the factory. Does anybody know? Thanks for any responses!

Gazz