Gazz, the factory workers who put these together used a 3/32" drift or nail punch along with a screw driver that had a "V" shape in the blade. They inserted the drift into the bottom hole next to the trigger guard hole (4-40 hole) and used the notched screw driver to push the drift over until it fell into the counter-bored hole for the top lever shaft to fit.

I tried that once and that was enough for me, one slip and you slide across the receiver and gouge the wood. I use the "C" clamp with a 3/32" x 1 1/4" long drill blank imbedded into the top jaw of the vise. For the stock, drill a 1/8" hole 5/16" up from the bottom of the wood and 5/16" over from the end of the stock.

[IMG]

The 1/8" hole gets drilled on the right side. Put all the other screws in loosely, and put the left lock in place to put the moveable jaw on. You can see I have a pad on mine.
Some do not like this way of doing it, because they said they split the long narrow wood from the clamp...if you are dumb enough to do it without any support, you deserve to crack it.

Most of this is on the L.C. Smith Site under Disassembly and Assembly

Last edited by JDW; 01/18/13 06:36 PM.

David