Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best solution I know of for this problem is to trade the Smith for a Lefever. One of the easiest Disassembling & Assembling Doubleguns known to man.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
If I knew you and AmarilloMike were gonna ride me like a rental horse about the case colors on that gun, I'd have given it to Ed Good. I swear I had no choice or fore knowledge...honest...really...seriously...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Instead of a pin punch, use a small nail set, it will not bend trust me.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you had read my post about using a nail set or a pin punch to fit into the 4-40 hole, you would have read that it is only there to act as a fulcrum point for the notched "V" tool to push it over into the fit.
That spring is made for a 100lbs. pressure and there are not many things made .093 (3/32") that can handle that force without bending or breaking.

The workers to did this at Hunter Arms did it day in and day out and they knew how to do it. There are pictures of them doing so. Since I don't do this everyday I used a method that the late Russ Ruppel told me, and that is with the small hole drilled in the wood.
As to making the wood weak, no such thing in that area.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Make sure you release the top lever before you try this. If you haven't figured it out yet, there is a small plunger that the rib extension depresses as the gun is closed. You can push on this with a small tool and the top lever will be released to a neutral position. Then it takes much less force to align the screw hole.

I am a big fan of the wedge on a string trick and it leaves the stock intact as well as insuring you don't bugger the threads of the top lever pin. There aren't any vises or drills involved and it takes zero effort.

Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yeah, here is a photo of the hole drilling technique gone awry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fishnfowler
Oh yeah, here is a photo of the hole drilling technique gone awry.

Yup-- Murphy's Law prevails- that's why I coat all the internal wood areas with a skin coat of acra-glas before I locate and drill the access hole- but every piece of gunstock wood has its quirks and weak spots, and repairing such damage is possible, but time consuming and expensive--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The picture with the broken wedge, is from not supporting that area. That is why I recommended putting the lock plate on that side and putting the fixed jaw on the lock instead of the wood. Not a good idea to put the jaw on a slender piece of wood and not think it won't slip off and break or crack this piece.

I went back and just noticed that the broken piece is on the drilled side. The only way the break here could have occurred is that the pin going through the hole was not attached to the fixed jaw and it slipped off. If the pin was long enough, the jaw would not be close to the piece.

Last edited by JDW; 01/22/13 07:52 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
The picture with the broken wedge, is from not supporting that area. That is why I recommended putting the lock plate on that side and putting the fixed jaw on the lock instead of the wood. Not a good idea to put the jaw on a slender piece of wood and not think it won't slip off and break or crack this piece.

I went back and just noticed that the broken piece is on the drilled side. The only way the break here could have occurred is that the pin going through the hole was not attached to the fixed jaw and it slipped off. If the pin was long enough, the jaw would not be close to the piece.
Words of wisdom indeed- and I forgot to add that advice- As i deal in LC Smith parts, over time I have both a R frame and a FW frame set of lock plates, stripped of all parts (sold) and from Field grade Smiths- that I use to fill in the open lock area of the stock-against the pressure of the small modified C clamp-- if you don't do this, and just rest the anvil of the C clamp against a bar or metal, which contacts the top and bottom of the inletted area- you are looking at a potential real problem-- Smiths are indeed tricky to re-assemble and they have their quirks--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.