Originally Posted By: JDW
The picture with the broken wedge, is from not supporting that area. That is why I recommended putting the lock plate on that side and putting the fixed jaw on the lock instead of the wood. Not a good idea to put the jaw on a slender piece of wood and not think it won't slip off and break or crack this piece.

I went back and just noticed that the broken piece is on the drilled side. The only way the break here could have occurred is that the pin going through the hole was not attached to the fixed jaw and it slipped off. If the pin was long enough, the jaw would not be close to the piece.
Words of wisdom indeed- and I forgot to add that advice- As i deal in LC Smith parts, over time I have both a R frame and a FW frame set of lock plates, stripped of all parts (sold) and from Field grade Smiths- that I use to fill in the open lock area of the stock-against the pressure of the small modified C clamp-- if you don't do this, and just rest the anvil of the C clamp against a bar or metal, which contacts the top and bottom of the inletted area- you are looking at a potential real problem-- Smiths are indeed tricky to re-assemble and they have their quirks--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..