September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (dukxdog, azgreg, 1 invisible), 327 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob did he ever use the Sterlingworth in any shot gun weddings ?

My grandfathers gun was a Remington model 11,Dad's are model 12 and elsie,all in 16 guage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for clearing that up, Miller. I just couldn't remember which catalog had the A.J. Aubrey guns. I remember when getting a shotgun by mail order was as uncomplicated as getting set of wiper blades....

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the M/W western field has the mallable frame then it is the;
Ithaca, Western Arms Long Range Gun.
Essentially the same as the NS I believe except for the frame.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"working man" = Salt of the earth. Def./People who are salt of the earth are decent, dependable and unpretentious.

...to quote dubbletrubble. I might also add the term "working man" was associated with anyone who labored with his hands. For further clarification listen to a few Meryl Haggard tunes. My grandfather's guns were a M-73 Winchester and some unknown variety of SxS. I have the '73 and wish I had the double.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well, my father was orphaned in the year of the stock market crash, 1929. He laid in a orphanage for 18 months (and, to this day, has a flat on the back of his head from spending so much time in a crib) until he was placed in a foster home. The family never adopted him, for the simple reason he represented a check every month, however, his "adopted" father and grandfather loved him to pieces from all accounts. His father was employed at a Standard oil station, and delivered fuel oil, and his grandfather was a shoemaker. Salt of the earth, for sure.
His Dad's gun was a H & R single in 12 gauge. I know for sure he told my dad he couldn't afford a Winchester 37, and didn't need more than one shot. The gun may have been purchased used-most of the family's guns were. When my father was old enough, he was given a used .410 version of the same gun, which his father had worked a few weekends on a road sign building crew to earn the money for. Dad also had a nameless bolt action .22 single shot of some sort. My dad's father always said the depression "hung around" St. Paul for longer than it did the rest of the country, but I don't know why.
Dad's Grandfather gave to my dad a steel barreled double 12 of some sort, that my dad attempted restocking for a high school woodshop project. Dad says it was low end, and had few, if any markings. The fact it was given to him shows it was pretty well used up by the early 1940s. The restock turned out quite nicely, and dad traded it, and a 'coupla years worth of newspaper route and after school cannery job money for a Remington 241, in about 1946. He still owns that gun, and claims it is the sole reason he came out of Marine Corp boot camp with a PFC rank-he could shoot better than anyone there, including his instructor.
My Dad says the war years were good to him, as he always could find a good job, and there were plenty of hunting opportunities-I suppose everyone else was in the service and a 14 year old looked good if there wasn't anyone else around to work. A 241 was not a cheap gun. Dad shot everything with .22s, as the ammunition was easier to come by for him during the war (neighbors often would trade him .22 rounds for a few of whatever he shot.)

Dad didn't get a repeating shotgun until after he made Sergeant, in about 1950. But, he never looked back. He has several O/Us but, just about everything else is an autoloader. And those are the ones he uses.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Recoil Rob & 2-Piper: my M/W&Co. Wesern Field is definately a Nitro Special as the serial number is over 200,000 and the Western Long Range guns numbers did not run concurrently with the N.S. Removal of the floor plate quickly revealed a forged, steel frame and the attendant milling cuts for action parts. Also, the NS had a different trigger guard and top lever than the Western Long Range gun. Chopper

Ted

Great story on your Dad. Our country's foundation was built by such men.

My Dad passed at 97. A few years before, he would still be found in his tan work clothes and work boots, with either a shovel in his hand in the orchard, or tending his bees. He ended active duck hunting at 87, after being yelled at for skyscraping, as he put it. - - Figured he was losing some acquity in judging range, so felt this is what a sportsman should do.

In his mid years, he accrued sufficient money to buy whatever, in terms of guns, but pretty much always stuck with the field grades. Felt they could do everything one would want a gun to do, if he did his part. Because he loved to hunt, he hunted - and we ate venison, duck, quail and smoked goose as a matter of regular meal fare. I recall gathering his beloved VH 16 and 12 Trojan when we cleared the old house out - - Carefully stored, fastitiously cleaned and showing use but not abuse. I think of him as another one of these working men who's shoulders we stand on today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chopper; Sure sounds like a Nitro to me. My comment was based strictly on "IF" it had the mallable frame.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always really disliked that term, "working man". Its a divisive discription that attempts a sort of reverse predjudice. Its meant to seperate people into groups that have no bearing on how hard they work or what kind of firearms they purchase. "I'm not like you.....I'm just a working man." "I'm a working man.....I don't know about that kind of stuff." It is a meaninless term if you think about it. John M, the finest mechanics now wear gloves!. Sorry for the rant.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.