Originally Posted By: oldmanriver
JohnfromUK and others on this BBS have said they use fibre wads. Is that because the UK requires them to avoid litter on the shooting grounds (since they decay), or is there some safety or superior function motivation? I assume 90%+ of the shells available in the US have plastic wads/shot cups.

On most of the driven shoots I attend it is usual for guns to use fibre wadded game cartridges. Many shoot owners make it a requirement for environmental reasons. In the same way, the majority of driven shoots now ask us to collect our 'empties' (fired shells) at the end of each drive or to leave them piled at the peg for someone to gather up. As I am sure most of us are aware, plastic wads (shot cups) take a good long while to degrade in the open. In fields used for grazing plastic wads are especially unwelcome.

On the other hand, most of us also realise that plastic wads give superior ballistic performance these days. On clay shooting grounds plastic dominates.

These are one of the most popular game cartridges in the UK for best guns: http://www.lyalvaleexpress.com/supreme-game-fibre-28-grams.

Tim