September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wild Skies, NCTarheel, Argo44, 2 invisible), 273 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,927
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think farmer's gun is more suited, it evokes pastorale scenes. I have trouble with the tight-wad small businessman's Parker. His week of grouse hunting in New England, all at the expense of the workingman's paycheck.
Farmer's gun, is better!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry6stl:

My personal pleasure is using the nicer SxS's of that era - that have been restored to as-new condition. I usually acquire them in fair to good condition, and then refinish, rework, or restock as necessary. None of them would really qualify as the "workingmans gun," but might have been owned by the local doctor or banker.

That is exactly what I do myself. Although the high grade guns are great to look at, as I work on these lesser guns, I wonder how many stories of days in the field and the Thanksgiving bird they could tell. I do my best to treat them with all the respect due to them for their years of faithful service.

This has been a truly enjoyable thread. I've got to weigh in and cast my "totally unbiased" vote for the Nitro Special. At 6lbs 5oz and 6lb 7oz, the two 16's which normally accompany me after grouse, they are nice to carry, handle well and are practically indestructible. If you move to an A grade, you might even lose a couple of ounces.

I also have to comment on some specific posts above, first to outdoorlvr who was wondering about machining a NS to A grade shape. Although the engraving is different, I'd suggest just looking for an NS built after 1937. These frames have the more sculptured look.

With regard to the Wards guns (and Western Arms), it seems that guns were produced for Wards under both "brands". As mentioned above, there is a difference in the frame material between Western Arms and Nitro Special. There is also differences in the top lever, the trigger guard and the engraving. Below, you can see a Wards Deluxe (Western Arms), a Western Arms and a Nitro Special. Note the frame shapes. Hope all this is of some value.

Roy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sweet guns Roy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of these are "working mans guns". GE LeFever,Nitro Special, Stevens 5100, Ithaca NID, Belgian 16, N.R.Davis,Ithaca Flues,and another Nitro (it's a little short)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm surprised no none has mentioned the Iver Johnson Hercules. It was quite a strong action and the one I had was a nice shotgun.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a shame but true that the working man's gun of American make has now joined the passenger pigeon, apparently never to return. The sad decline of the Stevens/Fox Mod. B /3ll & 5100 series can be chronicled by deterioration of quality materials and handwork (not that there was ever too much of that even in their heydays). Beech was substituted for walnut, pressed in checkering replaced the crude albeit handcut stuff, forend irons were replaced by plastic or graphite moulding. Compare a gun made in the 40's or 50's with one made a few years later and you will be dismayed at the loss of quality. Older Stevens marked "Ranger, Western-Field, Eastern Arms," etc. represent the best of what may always have been somewhat of a clunker, but at least an honest working man's gun. Chopper

Sidelock
Sidelock

dubblet, that's a nice layout! Chopper, you're right. My 5100 16ga is marked Springfield, my 5100 20 is marked Ranger; my 5100 .410 is the only one that admits to being a Stevens! The 20 came with twin ivory beads; all three have real walnut and crude but handcut checkering. From what I understand the 5100 designation ended in 1949. I wish I knew the stories these old "clunkers" could tell!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Double,

Lets see a close up of the straight stocked Nitro! It looks like a nice piece of wood from what I can see.

Tim

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'

Dubble:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Frazier:
Double,

Lets see a close up of the straight stocked Nitro! It looks like a nice piece of wood from what I can see.

Tim
I second that! I'd like to see more details on that one.

Roy

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.