The gun is the "typical" IZH Baiakal double rifle that for a while never seemed to make it to this county in any numbers. Then Remington was to import them and still they did not make it into the US in manny numbers. Finally back under EA (European American Imports) They are making it into this country. They are soild but a bit crude. Double triggers with a very heavy pull. The barrels are not joind along their length. At the end one barrel is rigidly attached to a piece that has a slightly oversized hole which allows the jack screw back about 1/3 of the way toward the breech move the barrel for horizontal regulation. The top and bottom ribs are light gauge and removable. The sights are primitive but work. The problem with some is that the front sight is sometimes not properly centered! (Like mine) The wood is plain, the finish is thin and the length of pull is short. I am told some shoot right on and other have the same vertical misaignment mine had.

So you ask, why would anyone buy one.... the answer is for the price it is just something to play with. I bought mine so I could compete in our CA side by side all chapter gathering once a year in Coarsegold. Took second place last year.. I am going to win this year!

Actually, I am having fun with it now that it shoots better. I am going to put a recoil reducer in the stock, put a decent finish on it and some better iron sights. Work over the triggers. Maybe take it out an kill a hog with it.

In my part of the peoples republic of CA, no lead is allowed, hence the barnes bullet. I want it regulated for something I can hunt with. The Socom bullet is essentially the 300 gr barnes with a plastic tip. I think it was made for the 450 bushmaster. Barnes says the tip will make it open at lower velocity that the standard 300 grain .45 caliber bullet.

Jerry

BTW the wholesale for about $700