Thank you for answers to my question above.

I've been googling unsuccessfully for requirements of US gun ownership, and would appreciate knowing what is required to buy---to keep it simple---a shotgun or rifle. I read of FFLs and what appears to me to be overlapping state and federal legislation i.e. selling at gun shows or out of state etc.

I'm curious because for all Canadians have been through with background checks, burdened and getting rid of the long-gun registry, it seems to me that our system, regulated as it is, is simpler, less onerous and restrictive than what is currently legislated in the US and, from the senators above, batten your hatches!

I'm interested in the nuts and bolts, not comparisons of rights and freedoms with others. Today a gunner called who wants to sell me some interesting shotguns. I've done safety, feds done background, I have a PAL Purchase and Acquisition license and can buy or trade on the phone without reporting to anyone.

It is prohibited to buy or sell to a person without a PAL license. Canadian members may correct my understanding of the system. I mentioned this earlier because from what I'm reading here the US may be thinking of something similar because registration is clearly beyond its reach and proposed private/public record-keeping a charade.

Your thoughts, please.