June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 518 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,490
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

There is a little weight that hangs off the edge of the table on a cord attached to the horizontal wheel. Don times one revolution of the wheel, several times, then averages the times, as I recall. This elapsed time is used to calculate the MOI.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Bill,

There is a little weight that hangs off the edge of the table on a cord attached to the horizontal wheel. Don times one revolution of the wheel, several times, then averages the times, as I recall. This elapsed time is used to calculate the MOI.

SRH

Stan, a good explaination. I'm going to fill in a few commonly asked questions. The turntable is bearing mounted to a base plate. A string is wound on the outter perimeter of the turntable. The string runs forward over a turn-down pulley and is attached to a small bob-weight. This arrangement provices constant torque to the turntable. The turntable has clamp blocks mounted so as to allow "fixing" a gun (mounted horizontally and upsiode down) onto the top of the turntable. The turntable is kept from rotating until ready by a spring powered brake/trigger. The trigger contacts the edge of the turntable and is also in contact with a stop-screw set into the turntable on a radius. When the trigger tail is pushed, the upper arm loses contact with the turntable rim and with the stop-screw. The turntable immediately begins to rotate under the constant torque of the falling bob-weight. The first movement of the table trips a magnetic reed switch which triggers a stopwatch. One full rotation is allowed. As the matnet passes the reed switch the second time, it triggers the stop function of the watch; we have the time for exactly one revolution.

Moment of inertia can be easily calculated for bars of constant section: round, square, rectangular, etc. The machine rotation times can be calibrated by use of a series of differing bars of assorted calculated MOI. The various times vs known MOI are plotted into a chart that allows accurate conversion of time to MOI.

Per Stan's example above, the Churchill has the following handling "fingerprint:"Churchill 25 BLE #4614 weight = 4# 1 oz, balance to front trigger = 3 3/4", unmounted swing effort (MOI @ CG) = 0.84, mounted swing effort (MOI @ butt) = 3.74, gauge = 0.410, bbl = 25", LOP = 14 1/2" and half weight radius (measure of compacthess) = 9.82.

Yildiz Elegante BLNE #7140 weight = 4# 14 oz, bal = 5 3/8", MOI@CG = 1.48, MOI@butt = 5.60, gauge = .410, bbls = 27 7/8", LOP = 14 3/8", and HWR = 11.83.

The Yildiz is 21% heavier, has its teeter-totter point 1 5/8" farther forward, requires 76% more effort to swing before mounting, and 50% more effort to swing when mounted. All that increase in swing effort for only 13 oz???? Yes, definitely. The 20% increase in half weight radius tells us that the Yildiz is much less compact than the Churchill.

Well, Joe-in-Charlotte will tell you the Yildiz is a numb club and Stan will tell you the Churchill is an unruly wand. Who is right? Both --- for themselves. Joe and Stan can now look at a gun handling "fingerprint" and tell if the gun will "fit" their handling preferences just as they can look at a set of stock dimensions and tell if the gun will physically position their shooting eyes in the right place.

Questions?

Dr. Bob, I'll see you in Sanford. Joe Wood, I think I'll be at Tulsa, but the MOI machine is in question; at least we can have a good 'ole jaw session.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hopefully this will do something about those "it balances half inch in front of the hinge" type of analyses. Where it balances has no bearing on the handling, as Rocketman has proved yet again.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Rocketman,
Nice illustrations.
Are you coming to Southern SxS this weekend ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

In actual use, where is a gun's pivot point? Is it at the point of balance or somewhere else? Doesn't the actual pivot point depend upon the geometry of the gun in relation to the shooter?

If the MOI is calculated using the gun's balance point and the shooter does not pivot the gun around that point how do the measurements relate to the actual experience of shooting the gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
In actual use, where is a gun's pivot point? Is it at the point of balance or somewhere else? Doesn't the actual pivot point depend upon the geometry of the gun in relation to the shooter?

If the MOI is calculated using the gun's balance point and the shooter does not pivot the gun around that point how do the measurements relate to the actual experience of shooting the gun?

Why don't you ask your hero, Barack Hussein Obama, what he uses as pivot and balance points when he is posing with a shotgun for propaganda images in order to advance the gun control agenda you told us he would never attempt?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I acquired a 12 bore British hammergun that is just over 8 lbs. The balance point is about 5 1/2 inches in front of the front trigger which in my mind makes it feel even heavier than it is. I considered adding some weight to the butt and used some masking tape to do so experimentally just to get an idea of the difference in feel. I added about 8 ounces which moved the balance back about an inch and it did make the gun "feel" lighter even though I added weight to it. Then I did some reading and the opinion was that adding weight to either end of a gun to change balance is the worst place to put it because of the MOI. I am curious about how people are putting the information regarding MOI to use. How does changing the balancing point on a gun, in this case moving it back while also adding weight, change the MOI?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you get the center of mass over the pivot? I fully understand MOI, but I still believe the balance point has a heck of a lot to do with how a gun feels to an individual.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you're right - I cannot visualize where the gun pivots when I shoot but I'm going shooting tomorrow and will try to figure it out on the field. I suspect the closer the center of mass is to the actual pivot point when you're shooting the gun, the better it will "feel"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's say that in order to move back the Center of Gravity by 1 inch you need to add 4Oz at the butt, you could also add 8 Oz 1/2 way in the stock. Because the moment of inertia is proportional to Mass x distance squared the second solution has 1/2 the additional inertia. The penalty is that it also has more mass.
e.g. there is no free lunch.
Balancing should be static and dynamic and it is quite an art (that I know nothing about) on complex objects such as shoulder guns.
Attempting to measure things is a necessary first step in learning about this subject matter.
Best regards,
WC-

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.