September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (battle, KDGJ, Argo44, 53caddy, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 185 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,921
Posts550,739
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A generous individual from this board has located for me a very nice self opening Purdey SxS 12 gauge with ejectors. The gun is from 1889 (13XXX serial number) and comes with a leather and oak case (not original to the gun). The gun has the original 2 1/2" chambers and original 29 1/2" barrels. The barrels have been measured to be .026 and .027 in thickness. The gun is on face (recently done) and is overall in very good condition. It has a checkered butt and has been used as a field gun. Price is a very firm $15,000.00 (other people want the gun)

I have always wanted a Purdey, H&H or a Boss with Purdey being my first choice. However, I cannot afford to spend much more than the $15K price. I realize at this price level I am bottom feeding but I think I have found a nice gun. Since I plan to use the gun for upland hunting this should be a great gun. Even if I could afford $80,000.00 for a mint condition Purdey I would only “ruin” the gun by using it for hunting and getting the gun marked up. This $80,000.00 gun would quickly become a $30,000.00 gun due to dents, marks, chips, etc. I am really excited about having found a nice old Purdey that I can use for upland hunting. The gun is being inspected by Alfred Gallifent next week. If the gun checks out I will be the new custodian for the gun.

What do you guys think of this gun? Does getting an older Purdey make sense; especially a gun from 1889? For $15K I can purchase lots of other guns but I thought having an English Best would be a nice show piece and keep its value. I seriously thought of getting a newer AH Fox for $15K but I like the English guns much better.

I would be interested in hearing everyone’s comments. Pics are available if someone can help me post them.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,

Congrats on finding the Purdey after your long search! I dont see the age as a negative factor as long as the condition is where you want it to be. Many people (like myself) think the English guns built in that period are among the best ever. It sure sounds good and if it checks out, I dont see how you can go wrong. Enjoy the Purdey. BTW, do you have the Donald Dallas book on Purdeys? If not, I highly recommend it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to be the right price for condition, also looks like you've the right guy to check it out. Had my eyes on a 10k c. 1900 Purdey, the gun was very used, but still most likely worth the price. If this is your price range, snap it up, as there are getting to be fewer good London guns at this price coming over.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From your description, the barrels are likely original; this leads me to think the gun will "feel" great when you shoot it. The barrel walls are not too thin but is the gun in proof? Have you enquired of Purdey as to the original dimensions? If Alfred says it's sound, I'd buy the gun. Decent price I'd say and not so many of these are available.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun has been nitro proofed and is currently in proof. Below is the info I just received from Purdey. The gun has the same dimensions as provided by Purdey. As several people have mentioned, finding a gun in this price range and in this condition is not easy. I have pictures if someone can help me post them. I will keep everyone updated.

This gun is number one of a pair.
Completed 1890 for Leonard Clou Esq.
12 bore ejector 30" whitworth steel barrels.
Stock length 14 1/4" mid
weight of gun 6lb 11oz.
barrels 3lb 1oz .
gold oval.

Last edited by kdross; 03/22/07 09:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The market price model I use is as follows. Purdey is Brand Value level one (BV1). The Purdey built Beesley designed self-opening SLE is of Original Quality grade one (OQ1). The question, then, becomes the level of Current Condition (CC?). The description sounds much like CC4 - "heavy use, but no abuse." BV1-OQ1-CC4 = $16,000.

This sounds like a very straight up deal. You have a very good man on the check-out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is Purdey wrong about the barrel lengths?

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.B.
Is Purdey wrong about the barrel lengths?

I checked my notes and the seller measured the barrels at 29 7/8". The question is what does Purdey consider to be 30" barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

How does this jive with the original post (29 1/2" original barrels)? Alfred should have an opinion on this, but then Alfred is not a gun collector who may worry about 1/2 inch like some of the rest of us do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt it's a problem. The guy at Orvis is just being very precise. You have the bbl weight, so you can weigh them and see if they've been messed with. I'd be very interested to hear what you find.

And if there's a problem with the bbls, or with anything else, Alfred will find it.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.