September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (battle, KDGJ, Argo44, 53caddy, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 185 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,921
Posts550,739
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, the only point I was making is to disagree with the statement made by so many people that purchasers of Purdeys are generally not gun collectors or investors. They most certainly are. In the same vein, few would be purchasing Ferarris if they could not be sold for a good percentage of their purchase price.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore,

As the owner of a Ferrari I take exception to your statement that "few would be purchasing Ferraris if they could not be sold for a good percentage of their purchase price". While most people who purchase a used Ferrari can usually recoupe most of their purchase price (god forbid if you buy a new one and take a $100K hit in 3 years), the maintanence bills will eat you alive in terms of an investment. For the past 5-6 years I have averaged almost $10K annually in maintenance and repair bills. That is almost $60K. Even if I sold my car for the same price or more than I purchased it for, I am in the hole due to the mantenance bills.

People who buy Ferraris do so because they love cars, love to drive and love the history of Ferrari. They do not buy Ferraris to make money (in rare situations you can make a lot of money but that is the exception). I think the same can be said for those people who buy a Purdey, H&H, Boss, etc. They love guns, enjoy using the best gun available and like the romance of using a historically important firearm. Just my .02.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob and Obsessed, I asked the same question. The serial no. he gave may have been 20,000 as my memory is possibly faulty. He said that by that time, all of the mechanical refinements that could be made, had been made. He said he owned a pair of ca. 1935 Purdey's and that they are the only guns he will ever need or have. Not like lots of guys on the board that may "need" more than that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used an 1889 Purdey as my main game gun for about eithg years. It is biult on the same action to the same stadards as any other Beesley action Purdey and, if it has not been messed about, will have all the quality, handling and class of any later gun arguably more.

I use mine for pigeon shooting , goose shooting, duck shooting, rabbiting, formal game shooting, sporting clays and everything else.

Buy it, use it and don't feel guilty about putting it to the use it was intended for. You won't find a better gun, handling wise, workmanship wise or mechanically - that's what made them famous: they are very good for shooting with and they function beautifully.!

just be careful to check that it was originally an ejector and has not been converted - if it has been converted, that is cool as long as the conversion is agood one and works well. Mine is and it does.

I love the older Purdeys - just sold an 1884 model with 30" damascus barrels to a client and almost cried as I waved goodbye to it. Absolutely beautiful, full of history, charm, class and brilliant to shoot.Brilliant to hold when you are not shooting. You are in the field on a rainy afternoon with your 1889 Purdey- and all is well with the world.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Small bore:

Thanks for the good input. Purdey has already confirmed the gun originally came with ejectors (see the first page of this post for the original specs of the gun). I plan to use the gun a lot and not worry about the condition of the gun. I am buying a shooter and plan to use it out in the field whenever I can. I am not one to purchase a new and unused gun and to put it away in storage for the next 50 years. When I die my son will receive the gun - along with many other nice items.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is, the PGCA frame of mind!
Case color is everything, and frame size is a BlueBook tool!
To hunt them is a no-no in Charlatansville, and lost dollars at Vegas.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 03/23/07 06:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, the only significance of case color in a Beesley action Purdey is that remaining traces are a clue to the gun's degree of care and amount of careful use. I have no use for a shiny new Purdey, but would appreciate little or no evidence of poor gunsmithing or amateur disassembly. A buttstock of wood to the rear would be another plus.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd guess that there is something like 10,000 to 15,000 Purdey SLE's out in the world. I know a goodly number of people who shoot them because they are "as good as it gets." Certainly there are thoe who invest and those with social objectives.
But, not everyone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its best just to hold on to your Ferrari, as Reggie Jackson's didn't meet the reserve.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Purdey was shipped yesterday to Alfred for inspection. If all goes well I can have the Purdey in my hot little hands early next week. I am praying the inspection goes well. I have already paid for several inspections only to discover the guns were grossly misrepresented. It is not easy finding a nice Purdey within my greatly limited budget. If I get the gun I will post pictures assuming someone can tell me how to post the pics. I tried to post pics of the Purdey using the url from my account on ofoto.com without success.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.