September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (JulesW, Walter C. Snyder, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 475 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Progress report: The barrels are to be reblued, the action color case hardened, and the hinge pin replaced. I expect to replace the scope when I receive it. I should think that a Leupold Vari X-III 1.75-6x32mm scope would be a good replacement for the Lisenfeld 2-7X variable, also with 32mm objective, presently mounted on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lisenfeld is not a bad scope, I would check it good before replacement.

With kind regards,
Jani

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate your comment. Until now, I have been unable to get any information on the scope's quality. Since it has internal windage adjustment, I assume it is a post-War product, but I don't know if the reticle increases in size with the increase in power, as was the case with early American variable power scopes, and German ones as well, or if the reticle is non-centered.

Do you have any further information about the scope and/or its maker?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no experince with Lisenfeld but found some scattered information mostly users' opinions online.

"The Lisenfeld Company was on the market from the beginning of 50s until end of 2004?. After the owner passed away it was sold to the company Docter." (Guns International)

"My .222 ... the scope I have on this rifle is a Lisenfeld 6x42 - nice clear German optics." (a British forum)

"Lisenfeld made really good scopes at the time they were in business." (another British forum)

"I have two Lisenfelds ... excellent optics..." (Airgun BBS)

On the other hand, jägers on German forums are not so enthusiastic... Nevertheless, most users say that they are useful daylight scopes but no good for night hunting.

With kind regards,
Jani

Last edited by montenegrin; 06/20/13 07:25 PM.
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From reading comments on German web sites, it would appear that Lisenfeld made a quality product while the owner was alive, but after his death the firm was sold, and the name was used to market a line of inexpensive imported scopes. At one point the owner was using the trade name "Jaguar" and he got into a legal tussle with the British car maker over the use of the name.

The scope on this drilling does not look like a German scope. In particular the ring used for magnification adjustment just looks like one on a cheap imported scope. I hope I'm wrong. I bought the drilling on the assumption that the scope was junk. If it is not, then I have experienced a windfall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Any chance the Schweinsrücken(Hog back) is related to the Schießstock usw. term in Gebrauchsmuster Nummer 134556 was from 3.03.1900?

No. DRGM # 134556 was for a Schießstock = shooting stick = cane gun, a walking stick with a built-in gun, peep sight and safety arrangement by a turning ring that blocked both the folding trigger, the striker and sight. The Word "Stock" is a stick. "Stock" in German is never used for a gunstock. A gunstock is a "Schaft" in German, a word of the same origin as the old English "shaft", the wooden handle of a spear.
DRPatent # 123902 (1901) covered Krieghoff's "scientific" procedure to calculate the "ideal" gunstock dimensions from body measurements of the customer, calculating from height, arm length, cheekbone, shoulder, neck, chest, shoulder to eye dimensions. A hogback stock is not mentioned here, though it may be a result of such calculations.
BTW I too believe in a postwar, 1960-70s, restocking job because of the shape of that hogback stock and that silly white-line spacer under the pistol grip cap. Such useless spacers became fashionable in Germany in the late 1960s only, together with "Scottish" skip-line checkering. These adornments were influenced by the "California style" Weatherby stocks then made by Sauer & Sohn, Eckernförde. It was the same time when cars had lots of useless chrome, shark fins and white-sided tires.

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[quote=kuduae
DRPatent # 123902 (1901) covered Krieghoff's "scientific" procedure to calculate the "ideal" gunstock dimensions from body measurements of the customer, calculating from height, arm length, cheekbone, shoulder, neck, chest, shoulder to eye dimensions. A hogback stock is not mentioned here, though it may be a result of such calculations.
[/quote]

This is the Krieghoff stock measuring system, taken from a 1970's Krieghoff catalog.

Sidelock
Sidelock

xausa,

there is another drilling like yours on egun:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4483915

but this time the seller knows about the detechable locks... ;-)

Regards,
Gunwolf

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Schweinsrücken (hogback) stock, but no white spacers!

Do you suppose the owner is a DGS reader?

It will be interesting to see how much this one goes for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Do you suppose the owner is a DGS reader?

No, not really. I like this old Drilling, all the blued metall scratched away by carrying for years in the woods hanging on the shoulder of probably a forester in his Loden Coat.

Kind Regards,
Gunwolf

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.