I ran my fingernail across the picture on the computer screen and did not feel any scratches. I'd like to run my fingernail across these longitudinal marks on the gun itself to see if they have depth. I think if this was due to corrosion, even from sweat, it would have affected the engraving too.

I have seen a lot of guns that have actual scratches in this area which comes from holding down fence wires while crossing, as jOe says. I see the same damage on the forearm wood on some guns. It seems to be a regional thing. In my neck of the woods, most guys held down the top strand of barbed wire with the buttplate, and we see damage to that part. If the wire on an electric fence slips while you are crossing, the result can be shocking indeed. I saw a buddy do just that while crossing an electric fence with his father-in-laws .222 Rem. while we were groundhog hunting. When the wire sprang back up to his crotch, he reflexively flung the gun about 15 yards back into the pasture. That was 30 years ago, but I still chuckle when I think about it. I think that's why they recommend opening the action while crossing a fence.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.