Harry:
I have no quarrel whatsoever with the design and intended use of the British black powder and nitro big bore cartridges. Actually I'm a fan although my personal experience has been limited to some range work primarily with the 470 Nitro Express. My gun club has a very active group who regularly shoot these big bores.
My reservation was with your remarks concerning the 458 Winchester.
I think if you were to do some research you'd find that the 458 Winchester was used by American hunters in Africa to a greater extent than what you believe. I do know several people who have been on Safari over the years and toted a Model 70 in 458. The 458 and it's smaller brother the 338 Winchester Magnum are still very popular cartridges here. I live in Elk Country and many hunters use the 338 although I personally believe it's overkill.
The only large dealer I could find at present that stocks British big bores(Cabela's) limits their inventory to the 470 Nitro express and they are currently out of stock. The cost per round is about $17 compared to the cost per round of about $5.50 for the 458 magnum.
With dangerous game hunting limited to Cape Buffalo from what I can understand* I don't see much of a resurgence in demand for any of the big bores in the future.
*Lion and elephant may still be available but it wouldn't be possible to import any trophies to the United States.
Any way that's my take.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.