September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (eightbore, steve f, 1 invisible), 304 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,759
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess it kinda means "here he is, doing what he loved , remember him this way"..perhaps???
Fine lump of an animal though, eh???
cool old pic
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunter
Dennis,

an elegy for a husband and father/uncle, written by someone who was not very good at writing and spelling, probably a farm labourer.
ambiguous in places , but this is what I make of it:

Das ist Dein Onkel unser lieber Vater mit sein(em) Jagdherrn Schmidtker.
Da hat er den letzten Hirsch erlegt im Jahre 1915.
Da kannst Du ihn Dir noch ein bisschen vorstellen, jetzt ist er ganz zusammengebrochen.
Was Gram um mich und den Liebsten (der ewig ruft)!
Wie oft ist er doch gekommen wie ich so schwerkrank lag, dass ich nicht sterben sollte, dann hat er doch keinen mehr.

This is your uncle, our good father together with the hunt-master Schmidtker as he shot his last stag in the year 1915
Here you can still recognize him; now he is taken by his illness and completely collapsed.
What grief for me and the dearest.... (who eternally calls...) !
How often did he come when I was gravely ill in bed; pleading I should not die: if you go then I have no one left.....

regards

Günter
NRA Life 1974
Ja, danke Gunter-! How interesting that this occured in 1915, when Germany was embroiled in the early stages of WW1, thrust into that later to be war of four years of attrition and brutal trench warfare, following the death of the archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo in 1914-- so many young men lost on all sides, no winners, and I too wondered if maybe some of the traditions of St. Hubertus were by-passed during the war years in Germany, as common Volk sought to survive and feed their families. Clearly the phrasing, penmanship and structure in this piece of European and World history, 98 years later now discovered, is not reflective of that of a Graff or a Ritter or a Von prefix to the family surname- but very telling, at least to those of us who are amateur students of World and European History.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF,

I agree - a totally unneccessary slaughter of a whole generation.

For anyone who is interested in the background and the real, fairly twisted and complicated, 'reasons' of WWI
I recommend Barbara Tuchmann 'The Guns of August' and 'The Proud Tower'

I had the same thought - there could not have been too much hunting going on in Germany in 1915 - perhaps it was very early in 1915, before the fighting really got bogged down in the middle of that year.

Regards

Günter
NRA Life 1974

Last edited by Gunter; 06/08/13 07:59 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunter
RWTF,

I agree - a totally unneccessary slaughter of a whole generation.

For anyone who is interested in the background and the real, fairly twisted and complicated, 'reasons' of WWI
I recommend Barbara Tuchmann 'The Guns of August' and 'The Proud Tower'

I had the same thought - there could not have been too much hunting going on in Germany in 1915 - perhaps it was very early in 1915, before the fighting really got bogged down in the middle of that year.

Regards

Günter
NRA Life 1974
Danke, meine Fruend. I have read Barbra Tuchman's novel- The Guns of August- have not read the Dark Tower- have you also read Erich Maria Remarque's "All Quiet On The Western Front" and his second WW1 based novel- "Three Comrades"? It is said that wars are fought for political and economic gains, and the PTB (Powers That Be) do not have the first-hand experience of close death, mud, disease, lack of food, shelter, basic hygiene- that the enlisted men who end up fighting and dying for their Country do-- what puzzles me, and Ms. Tuchman touches upon this a bit in "Guns Of August" is the relationship between the Kaiser and England- he was a nephew to Queen Victoria--some things we shall never fathom in our entire lifetime I suppose-Der Fuchs

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect there would have been a good amount of hunting going on in 1915.While hunting is sport, it was also an important food source, not just for the hunters, but the general population as well.Once the "shooting plans" were set, the owners of the hunting areas were required to substantialy meet the plans requirements.Failure to do so would result in the State sending someone else in to do so, and charge the owner for the time required.Failure to meet the plan may result in sickness/hunger for the whole herd, and damage to the forest and crops in the area.
Mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.