September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (LGF, Birdog, Perry M. Kissam, bsteele, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 201 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,765
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just purchased this picture and since I cannot read German I need a translator. The paper showing the text came with the pic and shows what's written on the back ... anyone care to give it a shot. Tks Dennis

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try Google translate, not the best, but will give you the gist of the matter:

http://translate.google.com/

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bing translate and babelfish will work, too..

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It would take me 2 hrs to type that into a google translator. I think I'll wait for someone who speaks German or not worry about it .... tks anyway gjw. Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis,

can you scan the original text from the back of the card?
It probably is in old german script.

It looks like someone has tried to copy the text into modern script - but it is rather bad german.

I can probably (if it's legible) make sense of it.

rgds

Günter
NRA Life 1974

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is what I put into a free online translater:

Das ist den onkel, unser gutter vater mit sein jagt herrn schmidtker.
Da hater den (Letzen) Hirsch Erlegt im jahre 1915.
Du Kanst dir ihn ein Bischen Vorstellen. Jetzt ist er ganz zusammen gebrochen. Was gram um mich und den liebsten.
Das ewig ruht wie oft er doch gekommen wie ich so schwehr kranklag das ich nicht sterben solte. Den hatt er doch Keine mehr.

This is what I got out:

This is the uncle, our good Father be with Mr schmidtker hunts. Since provideshim with a the (last) deer shot in 1915. You may imagine you him a little bit. It is broken. What hated me and the loved ones. The eternally rests how often

Babylon 10

Babylon 10

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/07/13 11:29 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunter, here's the back of the pic original text.

Mike, thank You, Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis,

an elegy for a husband and father/uncle, written by someone who was not very good at writing and spelling, probably a farm labourer.
ambiguous in places , but this is what I make of it:

Das ist Dein Onkel unser lieber Vater mit sein(em) Jagdherrn Schmidtker.
Da hat er den letzten Hirsch erlegt im Jahre 1915.
Da kannst Du ihn Dir noch ein bisschen vorstellen, jetzt ist er ganz zusammengebrochen.
Was Gram um mich und den Liebsten (der ewig ruft)!
Wie oft ist er doch gekommen wie ich so schwerkrank lag, dass ich nicht sterben sollte, dann hat er doch keinen mehr.

This is your uncle, our good father together with the hunt-master Schmidtker as he shot his last stag in the year 1915
Here you can still recognize him; now he is taken by his illness and completely collapsed.
What grief for me and the dearest.... (who eternally calls...) !
How often did he come when I was gravely ill in bed; pleading I should not die: if you go then I have no one left.....

regards

Günter
NRA Life 1974

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gunter, I appreciate the help. I would feel a bit better if the pictures writer told us a happier ending. Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's nice to know we have a member here who can read Sutterlin.
I'm somewhat surprised this stag hasn't been at least field dressed since it appears it was transported to this spot for pictures.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.