September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (12boreman, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 461 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,853
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking about retiring to Alaska someday.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I live in North LA and shoot skeet in the summer and hunt in the winter. Taxes are very low, schools suck,cost of living is cheap and don't look for culture (not a red neck thing). This is not a place to raise kids but it is a cheap place to retire too if you hunt, fish and like to shoot any target game.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry is correct about Arizona. The lakes and streams already have too many retired folk casting happily. The woods are full of folks shooting elk. There aren't any birds here at all, unless you count the damned ducks, geese, 3 or 4 kinds of quail, and those pesky doves. And after you shoot or catcth them, you can make jerky in the driveway, oops, on the driveway.

Last edited by mtwoodson; 03/26/07 10:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I decided to add to this afterall. The Injuns here in Arizona have gambling joints about every 10 yards or so. In the past they used to rip people off with baskets and beads; now they rip them off big time with slots and Texas Hold-um. Bike week is going on right now and I'm sure the sight of thousands of half naked biker chicks running around would offend the average members here senses. Why the president of GO-Daddy of Superbowl fame even had a contest at one of the venues with about 30 or so of those near naked chicks. We're already speculating about what he'll do next year with the Supebowl in our backyard. If I ever go back to work that's the Company I want to work for. Did I mention the four world class car auctions that are held here in January that really snarl up traffic along with the four major bowl games. Then theres's the Phoenix Open with is considered the wildest stop on the golf tour. Yep: More half naked ladies to offend you. As a matter of fact; A trip to the supermarket here is like going to a Victorias Secret most places. Have any of your ever wondered where Dillons of Scottsdale,AZ get their monthly "Blue Press" cover material? I would highly recommmend that one look elsewhere for a retirement locale. Most of the chicks while being two legged and big breasted don't fly worth a hoot. At least you won't have to worry about your now unused shotguns rusting in our semi-arid climate.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 03/27/07 08:36 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Asheville, NC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jas,
'pends on what you're lookin for. If it's a bit of seclusion, there's a beautiful valley in Nevada (more than one) on state 93, between Pioche and Ely. I've been thru there many times and often thought of a place up there. If a more populous area is desired, the Minden/Gardnerville area south of Carson City is great and close to all kinds of game. I have a friend that retired there. I think there's no state income or sales tax in Nevada?

jas Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Astoria, Oregon is a good place to live but the rain and fog is getting to me. Also the personal Income tax is very high in Oregon. Alaska is great but the population is very young, however, you get your yearly dividend check which offsets the cost of living. But the snow, ice, or rain gets old and almost every one leaves the state in February.
I looked at some property in Arizona and all they showed on the video was the same 20 people playing golf, shoping, and eating.
Did get some good ideals on two states, New Mexico and Nevada.
Wife wants to be by the kids. John

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.

Unless you really like to be told again and again about everyone's prostate or bypasses or stents or arthritis, stay away from 'retirement communities' - too many of us old gomers are addicted to these 'organ recitals'! Go where people are still busy with life.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Jack said!

I am going to try the Raleigh, NC area. Reasonable prices, taxes and good hunting and fishing. Pretty good gun laws for a guy from NJ.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Froderik
Jas
Don't go to Florida unless you want to pay about $6000 for homeowner ins and half that in property tax per year

Yep...that's why I moved here to western PA. Too expense to retire in FL anymore. PLUS..all the damn hurricanes. At least snow don't kill and take everything you own. Now here in W. PA, everybody has a long gun, and I can literally walk to public hunting grounds. Opening day of buck season is a state holiday! Just my .02, but I do love it here ..They can keep FL.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.