September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bbman3, SKB, MattH, eightbore, 2 invisible), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,761
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nero,
This is interesting.My rifle has the Imperial acceptance stamp and was seemingly used by the Kaiserliche(?)Kreigsmarine,as was the other one in Germany.Mine and the one in Germany had a number stamped on the right side of the stock, and had the warning plaque on the right also. Another known example has had a good bit of refinishing done to the stock, so it's hard to tell on it.It seems the Bavarians and Prussians had a little different procedure.I have to go out of town for a family funeral, but will be back in a couple days.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would not "Nuf fur Pat(tern? Mod(el) 88" mean that its "not for" the early .318 bores, but rather the later .323" bores?

Sidelock
Sidelock

NUR= Only
NICHT= Not

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gotcha. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First of all Nero that is a good looking rifle & especially the stock figure. I have plaque attachment holes on both sides of the stock 2 on the left & 4 0n the right. At least I now know what was on the left. The only ? I have does the rifle also have the Spandau Eagle on the right side of the barrel between the front ring and back sight. Also see PM.for a question. --- John

Nero Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to the person who took the trouble to turn the photo's the right way around.
I tried several times from photobucket and also from when I sent them from my Mac. to no avail.
I am sorry the photo's are not very sharp as I had to scan them onto my computer from ones that had been printed out from another computer and posted on to me.
As I said previously my friend in England does not do emails.
He has been collecting original Mausers since pistols were banned from civilian ownership in Britain (except for criminals) he used to collect early Colt pistols and he once gave me a small list of numbers of Colts that I should buy if I ever came across them which belonged to a few dubious characters of the old west.
As he is still working as a gunsmith and has a dealers license he is able to do this.
Apparently this rifle had a scope on it when it was taken from a shot German sniper. Taken back to the British lines and put into the armory and permission was granted for the guy to keep it as a war trophy but when he went to collect it on home leave he was told he couldn't have the scope as it was going to be put on a British rifle.
Whether this is true or somebody took a fancy to it and took it back to Blighty in their knapsack might have more truth to it.
I don't think there are any other markings on the rifle otherwise he would have told me.
Regards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary,
Nur fur Pat Mod 88 is Nur fur Patrone Model 88, which means "Only for cartridge model 88". This cartridge had the .318" dia. roundnose bullet.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nero,
The "Spandau Eagle" John asked about and the "Imperial Acceptance Mark" I mentioned above, are the same thing. Mine is shown in the third photo of my rifle.This is really what documents the rifle as an officially accepted sniper rifle. Considering the plaque, it is likely to have some type acceptance stamp; although in your case it may be some Bavarian acceptance stamp. It would be very interesting to find out.
Mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.