May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Southern Sport), 175 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,557
Posts546,281
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl is dead on right on French innovation.

It never ceases to amaze me how little respect French and Belgian makers receive for their quality and for innovation.

I know many hardware store guns came from the continent, but so did great quality and innovation

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl'
In "The British Shotgun,' Vol 1 1850-1870 Baker and Crudgington give an excellent and unbiased review of the origins of early breech loaders, Pauly, Lefaucheux,s, Lancaster and many more if not all early designs are reviewed.
In chapter 7, "Daw, Schneider and the Centrefire," are covered in great detail. Also relevant is a review of the patent dispute between Daw and Eley. The gist of this patent dispute centered on Daw,s claim that he held a master Patent covering centre fire shot gun cartridges and that Eley was infringing same!
Daws Claim was for all practical purposes denied; thus allowing Eley to provide their non-patent cartridges to any maker/user of centre shotguns.
With Daw denied a monopoly, the development and production of centrefire guns by the U.K. makers took off.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 07/31/13 07:46 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I should have titled the post "The first successful centre-fire gun, which launched the rapid changeover from pinfire to modern system sporting guns in Britain' ....

But it was too long and all I really wanted to say was "look at the nice gun, it is interesting'.

Apologies to all the fine foreign gentlemen I dissed! C&B do indeed explain it all very fully.

I don't think we'll be seeing any new Daw guns in the near future but you never know. I think James is just happy to own a piece of history and it makes a nice excuse to collect all sorts of bits and pieces connected with the firm. He is the son of Bill Blacker,in my opinion one of the very best barrel makers working, who does a good deal of work for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An interesting specimen. I am always trying to get a friend to part with a Daw's patent gun marked F. Gates, Derby. If you shake it it should rattle as Daw guns usually had a spare pair of firing pins and an extractor secreted under the butt plate. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover,

Quote:
In my area there is one Daw and a Belgian SXS, the name is in difficult to decipher gothic text, it might be Darry,

do you have a picture of the gothic text...? Would be intersting!

Best Regards,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
My friend James Blacker (a barrel maker) now has the rights to the Daw firm and is collecting Daw artefacts so, I'm going to give the gun to him. He's only a young chap and very enthusiastic.You should see how enthusiastic he is to get to play with it!

Excellent move Dig! You are to be applauded for encouraging the next generation to maintain an interest in these finely made guns. Thank you.

Tim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did stipulate he had to take me pigeon shooting with him and it so I can do a story - maybe one for the DGJ?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.