June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (dukxdog), 424 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,701
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Try good 'ole Browning Double Automatic, or Franchi 48AL w/mod choking, you might even like it! Why this infatuation with SxS action type?

Nobody ever said it was rational. Beauty and art are not logical or necessarily practical concepts. But, love is love whether or not it can be explained.
But, why ask such a question on this BBS? It is apparent that this board is devoted to devotees of a classic old concept. You could go onto some online Board that is devoted to old cars and ask they why not a modern one with all the bells and whistles?
Because.
Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

The whole history of RBL threads here seems strangely reminiscent of another recent American double that many lusted for, then trashed after a bit...good ol' Gold Label?

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

I put the RBL and my RizziniB in the same class of guns; well made production guns with good dynamics, nice lines and costing $2.5 - $3K. I don't have the RBL in hand so I'm hoping it fits in this class.

I see customer purchased NIB Rizzinis for sale too. Trying to figure out why a dozen or so of the first 700ish guns are for sale is going to be 10-20 different stories. The RBLs for sale seem to be selling.

The RBL issue I'm not cool with is the inconsistent grading of the wood. Eightbore's long term yearning for a standard issue RBL is irritating because he's fooking right. I didn't change my order to standard wood, but that has more to do with the CFO and annual gunbudget (Use it or lose it - if $700 was credited back it'd get wasted on groceries or kid's clothes) than gunbuying sense.

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Try good 'ole Browning Double Automatic, or Franchi 48AL w/mod choking, you might even like it! Why this infatuation with SxS action type?

If you don't get, nothing anyone can say will make you "get it".
However, from a practical standpoint, how about two chokes instead of one.

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Sidelock
Sidelock

The advantage of SXS is having choice of 'full patch' vs. sp in 400-500gr wt. range at 20 to 80 paces. Two triggers, "plates", and barrels add to confidence in case a spring brakes:D But, do game birds "shoot back"?
PS. You do realize that 48AL handles better then many of those old SxS clunkers?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You realize the barrels on a SXS don't shuffle back and forth when fired? The bolt closing on an autojammer sounds exactly like a cheap steel wheeled kids roller skate hitting concrete from about four feet up.
You will, however, be the king stud in the trailer park...
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
The merkel model 8 was all of that for less than 1/3 of an RBL but, sadly, no longer imported.

Brent

Model 8's have crappy un-attractive wood, no ejectors, no real "options", usually had cheekpeices (some like em, so dont). With that said, I would buy a Model 8 over a brand new RBL anyday.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ejectors tend to make a mess. Used to think I liked them, but have changed my mind. Gun cocks easier too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ejectors.
Well, I have only been on the board a rather short time. And, I bet there are paast threads aplenty on this subject. Truthfully, most of my experience with doubles until much later in life was with various O/Us most of which had ejectors.
At a fairly young age, I started saving my empty hulls. Originally, to reload but eventually because they are rather foul garbage I did not want to leave around. So, whenever I open a gun my natural move is to block the ejector function with one hand and take out the empties manually.
Ejectors are fine. And, good ones are mechanically nice to see and hear and feel when they work. But the reality is, if I let them work then I have to go chase the empties.
I can take em or leave em and, for investment purposes, they seem to be a bonus.
But, I would never pay to have them put on any kind of custom made double if I had the option. And, they are one more thing to break or get out of adjustment and have issues with.
I would be interested in hearing what other folks think about them.
Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Unless they are Darne ejectors, someone else can have mine. Completely unneeded for my type and style of hunting, and prone to adjustment and breakage issues.

Like Bunkie Knudson said "if it 'ain't there, it can't break". Empties belong in the pocket of a hunting coat, to be cleaned out later. A Darne gets 'em out of the gun, and then you scoop 'em up, and take 'em home. Simple, polite, easy.
Best,
Ted

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.