L Brown (Larry?) If you would not mind continuing the education is the below the correct history of proof marks?

1904 - 1924...... Shot Charge and nitro proof
1925 - 1954...... Shot Charge, nitro proof & chamber length
1955 - 1985+,-... Tons
1985 - Present... BAR

Post 1955 would one of these newer guns have other markings we have discussed, such as chamber length? Never really looked at a newer one that closely.

Questions on the 16 ga are prompted by my lust for a Watson Bros 16 ga. I have had a couple of reservations about the gun 1) Someone extended the chambers from 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" - seller calims subsequently re-proofed and 2) I am not sure if you can use 2 1/2" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber. I am not aware of any 2 3/4" shells that have low enough pressure to use with 3 ton proof.

I can get by #1 by asking for paperwork on when work was done, and They either have or they dont. Maybe I can decipher proof marks to confirm it was re-proofed after gun was reamed.

You folks can resolve #2 for me.

My 12 bore must have been reproofed frequently because it has all above markings except Tons, and by serial # it supposedly was made in early 1900's.

I really appreciate everyone weighing in on this topic. It has been a great and brief education for me.