June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, Der Ami, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 531 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,587
Posts546,761
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem when buying used guns is that the selection is sometimes limited. Trends and taste change over decades and these old gun last a century or more if take care of. So like all fashions if you wait long enough anything might come back into demand. If you do not like what you see keep looking.

Short barreled gun could be sleeved if the barrels are out of proof and too thin. Then longer barrels can in effect be created. As to restocking or altering a gun stock I pass unless the gun cries out to you. Dropping major money into what is in effect is just a high dollar shooter, not a highly collectable gun, is a very poor investment unless you intend to own it for life. And for those who have never tried to restock a gun the for end is just as hard and takes just as much time as the butt stock. In fact often one with ejectors is a very major job for a professional and almost un-doable to the amateur.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts

But I would just love me a Purdey with a nice capped pg, st, and semi-bt with 32" barrels set up for clays, at a 50% discount!
JR

Until you started using the trigger, you would.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

English guns were made with three distinct types of pistol grip in addition to the familiar straight stock.. Churchill in his book, How to Shoot, defines them as; quarter,Half and Full. Whilst full pistol grip is mostly seen on pigeon and wild fowl guns they are also found on game guns.
On 31 August 1987,Sothebys sold a pair of Churchill Premiere 12G guns belonging to H.R.H. The Prince of Wales that, have full pistol grip stocks. Guns with pistol grip stocks are seen in use in vintage U.K. photographs/book illustrations.
Beaver tail fore ends were made only to special order.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 08/28/13 08:52 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 60's it was what the American market wanted , in the late 70's we were buying them back and re-forending them to sell on the UK market . I think it is all part of some dastardly plan to keep stockers in work .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman,

In the US during the 50's & 60's the writer Jack O'Connor had a huge following and was quite an influence on all things re. shotguns & rifles. He promoted short barreled shotguns & SxS guns with beavertail forends, pistol grips & single triggers as well as classic stocked rifles & especially if they were .270 WCF caliber.

I read everything he wrote. Unfortunately, I later found out he wasn't right about everything but he was spot on about the .270 WCF rifle with a classic stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting an English gun with a PG and BTFE is kind of like kissing through a screen door; something just not right about it.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jay Gardner
Shooting an English gun with a PG and BTFE is kind of like kissing through a screen door; something just not right about it.

I dunno - if you are shooting this 10lb WC Scott 10-bore, it would be nice to have something to hold onto
WC Scott

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Gunman,

In the US during the 50's & 60's the writer Jack O'Connor had a huge following and was quite an influence on all things re. shotguns & rifles. He promoted short barreled shotguns & SxS guns with beavertail forends, pistol grips & single triggers as well as classic stocked rifles & especially if they were .270 WCF caliber.

I read everything he wrote. Unfortunately, I later found out he wasn't right about everything but he was spot on about the .270 WCF rifle with a classic stock.

Jack wasn't the only one. Roger Barlow and John Amber both come to mind on the shotgun thing.

Jack also wanted YOU to buy a rifle in .270. He was perfectly happy with his 30-06.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Notice that the English guns that were mentioned by Roy are, for the most part, guns designed to handle heavier loads. There is a good reason for this, not lost on the British. Heavy recoil is much harder to handle with a straight grip. Those who espouse straight grips for all S X S guns are ignorant of this fact. Ignorance is simply lack of knowledge. Anyone who has tried using heavy pigeon or duck/goose loads in a straight gripped gun soon learns that it is impossible for the average man to recover from the recoil of the first shot and get the second barrel on target as well as he should be able to. Pistol grips allow much more control during recoil, and the second shot is able to be brought to bear with much less effort. Nash B., as we know, had Bo Whoop built with a straight grip, but he was a big man with big, strong hands. Look at photos of him in his prime and this is easy to see. I can tell a huge difference when shooting my straight gripped A grade 32" Fox. I'm not a big man, nor do I have exceptionally strong hands, but I'm no wimp, either. I tried shooting a 200 bird state championship sporting tournament once with that Fox. Never again!

As additional proof, consider how many heavy recoiling double rifles you have ever seen built with straight grips. There may be a few around, but I've never seen one. And wouldn't buy one if I did.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps I don't know enough to understand the problem, but what is wrong with double triggers and a pistol grip? I have several doubles and even an O/U (model 32) with both a pistol grip and double triggers and don't notice any trouble.

Not an English gun obviously but built on that "pattern", and I don't think it is too horrible to look at.

CHAZ

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.