June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wild Skies, smlekid, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 486 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,581
Posts546,695
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jakearoo/Ted: Ditto for me on where spent shells belong when hunting - I carry them out.

I haven't spent time at a range in 20 years, but they might be handy there. My recollection is we cleaned up area after we were done.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ejectors are no more reason to let a hull hit the ground than owning a fork is a reason to be fat.

I'm not extradordinarily coordinated beyond anyone else and even I can put my hand up reliably and catch the hulls at about the point where they are 3/4 or more the way out of the barrels and without even looking at them. This makes a reload simple and quick. Extractors are indeed simpler and less prone to fail. On an old gun, extractors make sense. On a modern gun of good quality, ejectors make sense. Some old guns didn't have the geometry figured out in the cocking mechanisms of ejectors or some even the hammer cocking, such that breaking the gun was a chore. Most modern guns have the geometry idealized and I for one hardly notice cocking ejectors.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are times in the field or woods when I don't want to be bothered remembering what a gun is going to do with the empties-watching where a ruffed grouse is heading, after I miss with both tubes, and I'm reloading,(LOL!!) would be a good example.
But, I just don't need them. The guys who insist on doing a silly flury shoot while parading about in knickers might disagree, but, I'm really OK with that. I'm pretty sure I'll be out fishing the weekend they are doing that, so I won't make it. And, the limit on pheasants (legal) and grouse (my own) is still a brace, which, begs the question, "What's the point"?
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only had one gun in which the ejectors were strong and fast enuf to prevent the skeeter catch--Aya #2. Cf. to the ejectors in any o/u they were also a pain to cock. Very easy to disable and return to operation without spring removal. I prefer the extractor. (singular). I have yet to see a doublegun with "extractors" except in the case of the disabled ejector gun.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
I prefer the extractor. (singular). I have yet to see a doublegun with "extractors" except in the case of the disabled ejector gun.

jack

Touche' rabbit!

I have a drilling (technically not a doublegun) that has extractors, one for the two shotgun barrels and a seperate one for the rifle barrel.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

And technically all ejectors are only lifters until one or both barrels have been fired. If you have the occasion (or Glenthornite inclination) to chamber and remove shells without pulling a trigger then all you ever see is ejectors functioning as extractors (plural). So doubleguns may have either one extractor or one extractor and one extractor/ejector or two extractors or two extractors/ejectors. Multitasking makes for some strange math as in 1X2=1 and 2+2=2. In any event, extractor doublegun got only one thingy; ejector gun got two.

Presumably the RBL works in this way unless interferred with by all the slobber migrating into the action from the 4X wood. From now on, I'm adopting new nomenclature; unijacker and hemiwhacker sounds about right. This would throw most of my old doubles into the BoxLock NonHemiwhacker category.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought the reason we had ejectors on our guns is because they are COOL! I guess I'm not that cool myself because it makes no difference to me. I buy the gun 'cause I like the gun and the presence of ejectors is not even a consideration.

A gentleman that I occasionally shoot skeet with, uses a 28 gauge Remington 870 pump. His amusing trick is to always pump the action immediately after the shot (even when shooting singles), and then catch the fired case in the air with his right hand. On doubles, he only catches the second empty shell.

It is impressive to watch, and always surprises newcomers.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer ejectors, not because they can throw hulls on the ground, but because they'll deliver the empties to my hand every time. It's the difference between having to go in and remove them manually, or the hulls magically appearing in hand and effortlessly (almost automatically) falling into my pouch.

I've conservatively put 250-300K rounds through my current clay target gun in just the last 18 years, and probably caught 99.997% of those.

The ejectors on the RBL are about my only complaint - a little too much ZAP in my opinion. Catching 'em the way I'm used to with the Krieghoff can be painful. I've now learned to just block them with the fatty part of my palm and then lift them out as with extractors.

Maybe I'll disable them someday, but probably not.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Bob on this one, all things being what they are, I'll pay the extra for an ejector gun.
Take it from the Brits, the non-ejector Sle gamegun was never much of a fav with the chappies.
So, in keeping with the gun, you must have the right tricks on it.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 04/01/07 08:37 AM.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.