Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In light of the recent passage of the SAFE Act in NY coupled with further pending anti gun legislation, along with the ever more stifling taxes and fees in NY, I am looking down the road to relocation/retirement and New England is pretty much where I have to go. (Kids, grand kids etc.)
VT is too left for me, Mass, RI and CT are not far behind NY. That leaves Maine and New Hampshire.
We have been going to Maine most of my life so I am very familiar with southern Maine. Have visited NH and its pretty nice. What else do you need to say about a state who's motto is "Live Free Or Die"?
My question for you who live in these places is this:
Which state has better Grouse hunting? Deer hunting?
NH has no state income tax, no state sales tax. Gun laws are not restrictive. Maine has income tax and sales tax. I have not hunted birds in either.
From a double gun shooters perspective, what would you recommend?
Looking at Southern NH and Maine south and west of Augusta.

I would like to hear form Maine and New Hampshire residents or those who frequent these states for shooting and hunting.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out the "no income taxes" carefully. NH does have an income tax on unearned income which includes pensions (if I remember correctly). The absence of a sales tax is very nice.

Southern NH is just Mass sprawl. Much of it has become pretty ugly.

I've hunted grouse in the Great North Woods of Maine for many years and it's wonderful. Deer hunting is better farther south in Maine. Good grouse in northern NH.

Vermont has the fewest gun laws.

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

as gnomon said southern maine is a suburb of mass. and a bedroom community to boston less than a hour straight down rte. 95 great deer and grouse hunting a little north east of augusta in and around waldo co. [Belfast area] as for n.h.dont let the tax situation fool you they make it up in other ways. great deer and grouse hunting in the Haverhill area north of white river jct. I have hunted both places for years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian - As a transplant from NY State and MASS I can tell you that living in NH offers a much better way of life. The sea coast area is very nice and offers bird hunting within an hours drive. As stated Maine is only a short drive to the Southern area's that offer a healthy deer herd. Both Northern ME and NH offer very good bird hunting as does Vermont. Property taxes can be high depending on the town and area. A number of gun clubs in both ME and NH offering clays and rifle and pistol shooting. NH is for sure the Live Free or Die State.
Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

Been up here in central NH for 14 yrs,escaped PSRNJ and never looked back.Should have done it earlier.Quite sure many folks in NY want to escape Comrade Cuomo now.

No state income taxes or sales tax,there is a rooms and meals tax when you go out to eat.Way to many liberals in the southern part of NH and Maine who moved there to change the state away from Live Free or Die but we are holding them off.

Partridge (they don't call them Grouse up here )is way better in the northern counties but not bad in the rest of the state,the deer are few and far between-big woods and not as many as NY State but when you shoot one they are good size,here is a little one I got lucky on a few years ago;

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny you should mention that Brian, a few months back I was reading an article From the Mercatus Center at George Mason University about which 5 states offer the most personal liberties (taking into account restrictive laws, taxes, etc.).

NY was dead last being the most restrictive (CA the other) and the only one in the top 5 for most personal liberties that was on the east coast, indeed, the only one that has a coastline at all, is NH at #4.

Maine is actually way down the list at #39, Vermont #43 but that may not matter to you if you are retired as their worst scores were related to the fiscal situation.

http://freedominthe50states.org/

I hunt with a friend in NH every couple of years, he's lived in Nashua for 20 years now. I like it and could see myself living there, close enough to salt water for me. Partridge, deer, moose, bear, even some wild boar...permits required for concealed carry only, open carry is fine.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Correctly stated Vermont has the fewest gun laws. I've learned to live among the Libs there during hunting seasons and just don't talk politics.... enjoy the woods and the hunting for what they are.

The Western Maine Mountains is a wonderful area for partridge and deer and would be my second choice, closely following Vermont.

BTW, I live in the People's Republik of Massachusetts... need I say more?

Sidelock
Sidelock

NH has Sunday hunting, Maine does not.

Maine has a hell of a lot more land open to the public than NH, but that's a function of being a much bigger state.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maine is in the top 10 states most unfriendly to retirees when it comes to taxes. It also has some of the highest rates for individual health insurance as well.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_112987.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Move to Goreham, NH - near the Presidential Range and reasonable driving distance to good hunting in NO. NH, NW. ME and the Northeast Kingdom of VT.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.