Hello All,

I watched this Eduard Kettner 9x58R double rifle on Auction Arms for several months. I didn't have a double rifle in 9mm caliber, so it interested me. I really like the smaller caliber doubles. This was the listing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366234502

Week after week, month after month, the seller relisted this rifle. Several times he reduced his opening bid price, until finally he accepted an offer, that made this an affordable "curiosity" - that wanted to move to Wisconsin.

I say curiosity, because I've never seen a "pop-up" cheek piece before. A clever idea for shooting with/without a scope. The top and bottom metal work of the cheek piece each have a German patent number stamped on them. D.R.G.M. 240454

The claw mount bases are still there, but unfortunately no scope. I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life searching the nooks and crannies of gun shows, to find a scope that will fit.

The rifle is in "very used" condition with many dings and several slivers of wood missing on the forend. Its had a rough life. Likely a WWII bring-back that was mistreated when gathered. But this is mostly cosmetic, and those things that count, bore, lock-up, etc., are all very good.

With all the Belgium proofs, I'm assuming Eduard Kettner was only the seller. But, I think there are a couple of German Eagle proofs, but I'm not sure. There is also a strnge stamp (proof?) on the bottom of the stock. So, that's why I'm posting this. Perhaps one of you can decipher the stampings. I'd be particularly interested to know the "year" of manufacture, and who might have made this rifle.

The barrels are marked "Eduard Kettner" on one barrel, and "Koln, A./RN" on the other. Anyone know what "A./RN" means? The seller listed the caliber as 9x58R "Sauer" - and "verified". I've soon found that there is absolutely NO brass or dies available for this cartridge. Apparently Sauer had his own line of cartridges based on his own idea of appropriate case dimensions. Custom dies from chamber casts would be 6 - 10 months in waiting. I don't think I can wait that long. I just don't have the patience.

Here are some pictures of the rifle.

cont. .....