September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (eeb, Jtplumb, LGF, Ian Forrester, desullivan, Ken57), 251 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,057
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#340875 10/09/13 09:33 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A good friend of mine is new to fine doubles and recently picked up a nice English box lock. The gun is in good repair and approximately 90yrs old. It is ever so slightly off face but he shoots it very well.

Long story short, he had it at a local gunsmith, with a good reputation but one certainly not earned working on British doubles. The friend wanted a pad ground to replace an older one and that part seemed to go fine. The gunsmith told him he might be able to "tighten up" the gun for him and I told him that was a red flag. I was very worried he would peen the hook and told him to call him immediately and ask him to just do the pad.

Well he chose to just trust the gentleman and thank good he didn't peen the hook, but...he tightend up the forend...so now it feels "tight like new when I open it but it's hard to get the forend off"

So I tried to explain to my friend that this does not do anything to rejoin his fine investment, it just increases the bearing pressure between the reciever and the forend iron along with placing alot of stress on the hook.

I explained that he may have done this by turning a threaded rod with the forend wood off and that it should really be backed off a little to prevent increased wear and possible futher damage to the gun.

The friend is still not believing this gunsmith can do any wrong...am I wrong to be concerned?

Last edited by Tim Frazier; 10/09/13 01:39 PM.

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, you are not wrong to be concerned. That's normal for friends.

Some people cannot be convinced of something - anything - unless and until they see the downside their friends warned them about manifest itself. "Your girlfriend likes to get around ...", "That'll blow the engine ...", "That gunsmith doesn't know what he's doing ...". All the kind of advice which friends give for free and which the recipients often value and heed in direct proportion to the amount they paid for it.

You told him. You know more about the subject than he does. If he won't listen, it's on him. And he'll be paying the bill when the time comes. Let him reside in his mistake.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 10/09/13 12:22 PM. Reason: typo

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,

It is his gun, his money and in a way his Gunsmith. As a friend tell him what you truly feel about the situation. And as a very good friend if it all ends up in a disaster commiserate with him and under no circumstances say “I told you so”. You will stay friends and in the end a true friendship is worth far more than just money and a not well repaired gun.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO Excellent advice from both Dave and Damascus.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know of any "threaded rod" to turn on a forend. Sounds to me the smith peened (stretched) the arm of the forend lug.

John McCain is my war hero.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I don't know of any "threaded rod" to turn on a forend. Sounds to me the smith peened (stretched) the arm of the forend lug.

I was hoping this was not the case as well. I only have experience on lower end Spanish Boxlocks and Miroku guns and the pseudo A&D forend releases on one of those if I recalled could be adjusted by a threaded rod behind the button in the forend. That was some years ago but either way I was concerned about the fix being tightening the forend and the gun now being stiff to open.

I appreciate everyones advice and I intend to drop it completely, I am far from an expert on this but know just enough to avoid some pitfalls...and probably fall right in some others!

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I van-pooled into Houston with a fellow who asked me what I thought of an oil prospect located in Israel that he was investing thousands in (he was not rich). When I asked to see the data he told me it was based on biblical prophecy. I told him that I thought he was making a mistake and that it sounded like a scam. He went ballistic and told me I was an atheistic SOB ranting on and on. I told him I believed in God and reminded him that people paid me for the advice that he requested and that I was giving to him for free… so knock it off. He sat in a huff the rest of the ways to Houston. About 3 months later I came across an article in the paper about an oil scam involving drilling oil wells in Israel. I asked him about it and all he could do is get huffy again and tell me to mind my own business, which I was glad to do. What a jerk!

The moral is, sometimes you just can’t help people, they just have to learn the hard way.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds like whatever was done to the forend, would hold the bbls., away from the breech face, as much as the hook/pin will allow, and allow movement every time the gun fires, battering itself worse than ever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A forend with a button on the front is not an A&D release. The only function the spring loaded button performs on an Anson release is to bring the locking lug into the slot. Messing with the contact areas of the forend against the lug will bring the barrels away from the action as one poster suggests. To bring the barrels closer to the action, work must be performed on the hook and pin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bret Adams
It sounds like whatever was done to the forend, would hold the bbls., away from the breech face, as much as the hook/pin will allow, and allow movement every time the gun fires, battering itself worse than ever.

A year or so back I posted on this forum that this is exactly what one of those J-Spring forend latches do & was severely lashed (verbally) for my statement. Happy to see a few agreeing, even if the circumstances are a bit different. The barrels should not be pulled away from the breech with additional pressure placed on the hinge joint.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.