July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Kolar Dickson, SKB), 182 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,646
Posts547,379
Members14,434
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Humpty Dumpty,

I can't wait to hear (read) what the article has to say. It seems like all the good information about German guns, is written in German. I wonder why?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Humpty Dumpty,
my respect, this is a work of merit! Very nice practice for your visit to Vienna. Don't forget to visit Springer's Erben where you can need the words and phrases.

You are right with "Hüfte und Taille" it means hip and waist as he(Max) compares the fine double with a fine woman....

Under the Picture of the DR on the leg of mutton case is written:

"A Double Rifle has to have hip and waist", good to see the bright waist of the barrels (Hüfte!) at the basis which puts the weight to the back and the slim grip of the stock (Taille!)

Hope you can understand my english...???

buckstix,
these are mostly belgian rifles(guns) often traded by german labels(Kettner and others) Quite different from the Suhler Tradition: more light and well balanced for the quick, instinctive shooting.

Humpty Dumpty,

btw, if you have finished and want some more: There is another article of Max Ern about the light belgian Double Guns with boxlock...!!! ;-)

Kind Regards,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf, thanks.
But finished? No, I can only do it by fits and starts in my free time, will take me about a week I guess...

Sidelock
Sidelock

buckstix,
I don't want to hurt your or Gunwolf's feelings, but I have had enough of snow and don't care if I never see two snow flakes piled on top of each other again.It gets pretty scary for an Alabama boy when you start making 3 tracks in the snow,by dragging the differential of your truck through it.I learned to drive on red mud roads and ,except in icey spots,snow drives pretty much the same.Because I loved everything else so much, I put up with the snow when I had enough use of my legs to walk in it.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 10/11/13 04:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

.35 Remington is a great woods round to emulate, with good frontal area, though it would seem a tad high on the pressure side for a break action gun? Good to see you persevere for such a nice old gun. Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

Max writes: most of these Double Rifles were made for calibers 8x60RS,
.35 Winchester, 9x57R and .405 Winchster....

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to disappiont but I'm only about halfway through frown

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

Here's an update. I found this set of claw-rings for sale on ebay. (see link)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Sniper-ty...557#ht_38wt_902

They were very close to what I needed for the bases that came on the rifle. A few hours of hand fitting, and I'm ready to go. I'll hopefully get to the range tomorrow and post my results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Waiting with rapt attention
Did you make it to the range?
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello skeettx,

Well, not the best of results, but very good considering that I'm still fire-forming the manufactured cases to the chambers.

The scope is a Weaver 2-1/2 power w/ a Post-Cross-Hair reticle. A nice clear scope, at a power that's perfect for a fast handling small caliber rifle. I had to make a ring/shims as the scope is 1" dia., and the rings were German 27mm dia. (1.061")

Recoil was very modest. Much like that of a 35 Remington, which was expected since the ballistics are very similar. I'm sure the groups will get tighter as I develop a proper load and settle-in the scope and formed cases.

One thing did come as "real surprise". Since this rifle has set-triggers for both triggers, I thought to try them out.

Here's what I learned; NEVER - NEVER - NEVER, set BOTH triggers before firing. DAH! When you do this, the recoil from the first shot, drops the "hair-sear" of the second trigger. What you get is 400 grains of recoils as both barrels fire simultaneously. (at the same time)

It scared the hell out of me and I have no idea where the shots went. The two went into another fire-forming test target with lots of existing holes. I won't do that again!

More info to follow as I develope loads. Next I'm going to try 220g and 250g bullets. This one is a lot of fun.

By the way, I also cased this one in a nice Browning case that I picked up at the last gun show. It makes a nice set-up.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.