September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (liverwort, azgreg, Karl Graebner, ksauers1, MattH, 2 invisible), 276 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well said, Old Colonel! Thanks for the post. Subsidized ethanol production is a double tax on all citizens--first, in direct payments to distillers; and second, in reduced energy efficiency (lower mileage, etc.). I wouldn't mind it so much if ethanol could stand on its own in a free market society.

John McCain is my war hero.
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cenex, the Harvest State C0-0p had an 87 octane un-leaded offering on it's pumps in SD just a month ago. The difference in price between it and the 10% ethanol blend meant a 2 buck savings on a ten gallon fill-up. The 6 miles to the gallon difference in my truck meant that savings cost me 60 miles of travel. I would have to spend about 22 dollars on additional ethanol to travel the 60 miles lost to enjoy that 2 buck savings.

Others must have been doing the math too, because two weeks ago they replaced the 87 with 91 unleaded at about a 40 cent cost above the ethanol blend.

It must not have worked to cause more ethanol sales because this week they took the unleaded choice away.

I wrote the company's marketing department and told them that I made a different choice. I would now after 20 years no longer patronize them, but would instead buy gasoline from an oil company.

Anyone want to bet whether I will hear back from Cenex?

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have hunted the same cattle ranch in SW South Dakota for 6 years. Until this year, the hunting was "A" to "A+". This year it would rank as "C".

Two problems:

(1) Pheasant population is DOWN 50% to 60%!

(2) About 75% of the crops have not been harvested, and are still in the fields. The standing corn, milo, and cane means the birds are spread out, and more difficult to hunt.

Nevertheless, our group of 10 Missouri hunters limited 2 of the 3 days, and came close on the third day (90%). But whereas we usually limit in 3 hours, we hunted (harder) for 6 hours to limit. A good trip, and worthwhile, but not as "easy" as prior years.

There will probaby be even better hunting several weeks from now, when more crop is harvested and the birds become more concentrated.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Late update: I just got back from a week in Aberdeen SD. First day we hunted a mix of private and public land no more than 15 miles out of town. We had a limit of 15 birds. Later we hunted private land just south of the ND border. We were down to 3 hunters and two dogs and the cover was just too big. We still managed our limits, but it was hard earned. Best day was the first because we had a 3-4" snow and finding even a cripple was easy because you could track the downed bird. Being a Alabama guy that was a first for me. Great time, but bird numbers do appear down.

Last edited by Bill D; 11/04/13 07:37 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.