Back when I was anal about the mistique and the club's patterning fixture was loaded w/mostly useless thin paper, I used butcher paper which can be bought in rolls and you can also get a holder for it so it is very easy to tear off. Some dept. stores used to use similar fixtures, but the paper they used was typically of a much less durable stock. I had two plexiglass circles that I used to center the patterns/w, a 20" and a 30" & I'd draw the circles around them and then do the manual analysis, core & fringe. I still have part of the last roll of that paper in a tear off fixture that we use when the bride wants to wrap or pack something or I want to make a mess somewhere & need to protect the surface underneath. I went through three rolls of that paper, back when & came to the same conclusion that Oberfell & Thompson(sp?)did and Bruce Buck also, a bit later.

Today, I find the use of the club's very nice double sided steel faced grease plate to be much more expedient.

Digital cameras make recording the results child's play and you can buy a program that will do the analysis directly from your pics.

To answer your question, go talk the guy behind the meat counter into letting you have sufficient feet of the wrap to shoot your patterns or buy a roll from him. You can pattern in the rain w/butcher paper if you need to and a gust of wind won't generally tear it.

Last edited by tw; 11/06/13 09:21 PM. Reason: I don't type very fast, stopped to feed the dog. Buzz is likely a faster shot too;-)