September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ken57, Karl Graebner), 354 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,905
Posts550,609
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,
I guess that pic 'll do :), though I'd rather be taking it myself on my Billiard table,& owning the Gun.
What a beaut,cool that Mr Mason used it.I can;t believe I haven't seen that film yet, heard about it....lovely gun n case..sweet
franc from Yeovil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story; nice case!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW
Congratulations on a job well done!Over the past 50 or so years I have attempted to restore the exterior of at least 20 leather gun cases. I have never come close to matching the excellence of your work.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Hi Fox To be truly correct it is not the EXACT oil at all I was referring to but the oil that is available in todays market place as described in Wikipedia which is extracted from animal Lard. The oil I actually used was some thirty years or so old, intended for human use and of BP quality (British Pharmacopoeia) so made from the real things lower leg animal bones so I feel that my reply was correct.
But you where not privy to all the information I had when forming my reply I felt sure that it would be to much information and therefore complicate the reply more than necessary.
And as a true scouser my feelings on the subject are if I had have written the reply in colloquial Liverpudlian it would be no contest on syntax or the English language.

In the picture I am the young man second from the right looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights the photograph was taken at that famous Liverpool cellar club on one of the nights the Beatles played there. A bit of the subject but I do like people to know I was THERE!!!
Looks like Lenny Bruce and Lawrence Harvey were also there- sorry, the Beatles and the Stones aren't my cup of tes (Lord Earl Gray, no sugar, creme (cream) or lemon-just straight up, no junque (junk) in it, thanks awfully much there old chap@! I do enjoy John Elgar's works, also some of J.S. Bach's pieces when he visited England for the chance to play several renown Church organs in London--Cheerio!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The man who handled the dogs in "The Shooting Party" is Vince Mitchell, who has competed and judged Labrador Field Trials for decades (He is now somewhere north of 80 years old). It was very interesting to listen to him describe the filming of the movie. It was not a smooth as it appeared on the screen.
I arranged to get a Lab [censored] puppy from what he claimed was going to be his last litter. Our girl "Daisy" is turning out to be special critter. Smart, a good marker and a really good nose. Thanks Vince

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All

I have had quite a few e-mails from people who live this side of the pond who know me all asking about the proportions of the Lanolin & Neatsfoot mixture I used to restore the gun case leather with. So for any body who would like to give it a try and knowing how much is charged for a small pot of leather food making it can save you a fortune.
I will not claim the mix is all my own work it was given to me by the now late John Bowen who was the head groom for one of the lesser royals here in Britland, who thought the best sporting day out besides shooting was a fast gallop over the Moors on a frosty morning on a spirited hunter.

4 Fluid ounces of Neetsfoot Oil
1 Fluid ounce of Cod Liver Oil
Ounce Bees Wax
Ounce Lanolin
This part is not necessary for the formula but it does mask the smell of the Neetsfoot Oil add a number of drops of essential oil Orange Lavender or my preferred poison Bergamot

Heat the oils together just enough to melt the Bees Wax and Lanolin YOU MUST NOT LET IT BOIL other wise it will be ruined a double boiler really helps here. Best used on the leather slightly warm and rub in well, also it does darken the leather but it was used originally for horse tak so darkening the leather was of no consequence.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Hi All

I have had quite a few e-mails from people who live this side of the pond who know me all asking about the proportions of the Lanolin & Neatsfoot mixture I used to restore the gun case leather with. So for any body who would like to give it a try and knowing how much is charged for a small pot of leather food making it can save you a fortune.
I will not claim the mix is all my own work it was given to me by the now late John Bowen who was the head groom for one of the lesser royals here in Britland, who thought the best sporting day out besides shooting was a fast gallop over the Moors on a frosty morning on a spirited hunter.

4 Fluid ounces of Neetsfoot Oil
1 Fluid ounce of Cod Liver Oil
Ounce Bees Wax
Ounce Lanolin
This part is not necessary for the formula but it does mask the smell of the Neetsfoot Oil add a number of drops of essential oil Orange Lavender or my preferred poison Bergamot

Heat the oils together just enough to melt the Bees Wax and Lanolin YOU MUST NOT LET IT BOIL other wise it will be ruined a double boiler really helps here. Best used on the leather slightly warm and rub in well, also it does darken the leather but it was used originally for horse tak so darkening the leather was of no consequence.
According to my "The Joy of Cooking"- Bergamot is NOT considered a poison, but an oil or possibly a spice derived from the pear-shaped citrus fruit itself. If memory serves, the late Judith Child often used it in her recipe for a ragout--Bon appetit!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Runs, are you quoting Joyce Kilmer in your sig line there? If so, that would be "..a poem as lovely as a tree. And, of course, just one set of quotation marks there at the end wink .

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tut tut mister fox Bergamot is used to flavour the tea you said you like Earl grey tea. Have you never been out in company and been asked whats your poison? You must get out more! Also become a little more knowledgeable about that wonderful British beverage that you profess to take with cream Earl grey tea aficionados take it black no milk from a China cup poured from a sound earthenware teapot. I dont believe you really drink it regularly and my reasoning for this is it tells you how the flavour of the Tea is obtained on every packet I was just testing. Youre just trying to be annoying without a true in-depth knowledge of the subject as we say here Grow up! This will be my last line of discussion with your good self unless you can produce the same skill with your hands as you do with your misguided intellect!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.