Originally Posted By: Steve Lawson
I suppose using a very low pressure 2 3/4 inch shell would be better than using a 2 1/2" round that produces very high pressures!

Steve-

I think you have masterfully stated in one sentence what has taken 10 pages of discussion! I suspect that a lot of the "do's and don'ts" were very valid for the guns and ammunition for the time of the rule.

This discussion is likely so full of passion because so many of the forum members have been using low pressure reloaded 2 3/4" shells in their shorter chambers for years without any problems and it appears that there is no credible evidence (all things being equal) that the longer shell length significantly increases pressures.

Nonetheless, who among us would not purchase 2 1/2" low pressure loads for our older guns if they were available at $3.59 a box?

I can understand why the larger manufacturers do not cater to this need. It is for the same reason new made private aircraft are no longer widely manufactured...product liability concerns.

Midway markets a very sweet 7/8 oz 2 3/4" 5000psi load which one would think ideal for an older damascus barreled gun...and no doubt Midway and Federal are very much aware that the consumer would use the load for these more delicate applications, so they expressly state that the load is not intended for damascus barrels.

Doug